SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smilesesq

Advice re: painting contractor dispute and standards for exterior prep

smiles33
8 years ago

We are in a dispute with a painting contractor and I would like advice.

In short, nail holes weren't filled, the paint cracked under the eaves (just days after application!), and there are spots with very visible wood grain (despite an alleged two coats of Sherwin Williams paint). When my husband talked to the crew lead, the guy blamed the wood ("you've got cheap wood, that's why the paint cracks"), he blamed the sales guy ("John Doe" never should have promised you that we would fill nail holes"), and he even tried to excuse some issues as simple oversight ("I've only got 2 eyes, I don't see everything").

Since the crew lead refused to concede the issue, my husband then called our sales guy "John" who reassured him that yes, nail holes should be sealed before painting and that the company would need to make sure crews were consistent about this. "John" promised he would take care of this personally (going to the house to inspect it himself) and we would schedule a subsequent walk-through.

Lo and behold, we did the second walk-through and the same problems existed. The crew lead did address some of the issues in the most obvious places, but he ignored issues on the underside of the eaves high over our head (the majority of which had cracks, exposed wood grain from not being painted thoroughly, etc.). We also discovered on our SECOND "final" walk-through that there was an area with exposed caulk which wasn't even painted! See photos below. The one of the cracking eaves was taken from the ground about 14-15 feet away, so the cracks aren't as obvious in the photo as they are in real life. When we started to point these out to him again, the crew lead was defensive again. He wouldn't even acknowledge these are issues and just said, "'John' will take care of you" and turned around and left.

When we initially met with the sales guy for the estimate, I even asked him if we need to upgrade the "level" of surface prep but he said level 2 was sufficient for our needs (explaining that the higher levels were more for interior rooms and to address aesthetic concerns). We emphasized that durability and longevity were our key priorities. For nearly $10,000, we expected a good paint job that will last at least 10-15 years.

I reviewed the contract carefully for language re: the prep, which they explicitly say is based on PDCA
(Painting & Decorating Contractors of America) Industry Standard P14-06:

With
this level of surface preparation, good adhesion and longevity of finish
are of primary concern and appearance is of secondary concern. Includes
basic patching, filling, dulling of glossy surfaces, spot priming,
caulking, and light sanding/abrading to address surface profile
differences exceeding 1/8 inch.
Excludes matching texture and taping cracks.

I assumed taping cracks was for big cracks in the surface (like of a stucco house). I didn't expect to see cracks in the under side of the eaves. The cracks are not everywhere, just in a few spots on the house and the detached garage. In one spot on the garage, the crew lead must have patched/filled the cracks and re-painted as it looked great on the second walk-through. He didn't bother to do that for any of the sections on the pitched roof of the main house (which would have required an extension ladder).

I thought I did my research and this company was praised on a number of review sites (plus the sales guy was really impressive with his pitch about how quality matters and how he goes out on jobs himself to make sure the crew is working up to his standards). Doesn't basic prep of a professional paint job include filling nail holes, painting over exposed caulk, and prepping wood so the paint doesn't crack?

See photos below: 1) unfilled nail hole below the shutter 2) unpainted caulk on the workshop and 3) cracks in the paint on the under side of the eaves.

What would you do if this were your house? I don't trust the company to come back and fix it, especially after the hostility and defensiveness from the crew lead. We paid 1/2 of the $10K price already. Wait for the company to sue me for the remainder? Sue them first?

Comments (27)