SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_36196650

Any advice on how to deal with resentment to husband caused by MIL?

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi,
My husband & I have been married for 3,5 years and have 2 kids together. My husband and I have been having fights about his mom though she lives out of state and we see her twice a year. She has done a number of hurtful things ( did not want me in the wedding pics at my wedding and wanted her own pics with her son; asked my husband on learning that we have a baby "How did THIS happen to my most careful son?"; coming to my house and passing me without saying hi to greet her son, while I was standing with my arms open to greet her; telling me I have rules in the house and that's annoying; asking my husband how he can live with the rules and with anyone anyway since she would not be able to (she is divorced); telling my child he should escape the house because of the rules; refusing to be called grandma and showing NO interest in the kids, and then once confronted, she all of a sudden tells them to not call her grandma but to call her "grandma dearest", like she made her sons call her "mother dearest"; ignoring a lot of my texts, pictures of kis; ignoring and overtalking me; telling me everyone in her family thought I was a gold digger, but one of the family members said that some day I will be good for husband.). All in all, I accumulated a lot of resentment to husband for not standing up for me. Every time I try to share what hurts me with him, he gets into rage. "I love my mom. Stop". It hurts me a lot because I thought he is my best friend. My family is all abroad and I am all by myself raising our little nuclear family. His family has never offered any help. They do not keep in touch and never call me. They seem to be absolutely disinterested in my life or the life of my children, but my husband believes this to be not true because when he talks with his mother (they talk over the phone only while he is at work) she always tell him to say hi to me and asks how I am doing, and does not say bad things about me. Sure. What can she say?! I am so deeply hurt staying home with our kids, caring for them, and having an otherwise good husband who does not understand my feelings, does not validate them and shuts me up (shakes me, screams and yells as loud as I have ever heard him yell) to defend his mom. He tells me I should not bring her up ever. I do not know why I do sometimes... Sometimes I control myself and keep to myself. Any time her name comes up I am compelled to say something, like "Oh she asked how I am doing like she cares about it". Comments like these are major fighting stones for my husband and he gets mad at me. We fight. We did therapy but it only seems to help on the surface. Like last visit when she stayed with us, my husband was staying closer with me and kids (previous times him and his mom would stay away from us), did not let her be rude (much)... But as soon as she left and I made a tiny comment, he would get mad again and say how wonderful his mom is and how terrible I am. He name calls a lot.
His mom completely ignores me despite I told her it's nice when she keeps in touch, makes me feel loved and accepted, and that I'd love to have a relationship with her. But to no avail. My husband says he can't change her. But can't he at least get mad at her for treating his family that way? Tell her she's being wrong? Ask her to call us together? Can't he do it?.... He thinks there is no problem and doesn't care about my hurt, and that hurts tremendously. This hurt is exacerbated by the fact that he defends his mom so much as to shake me and yell at me, and he is unwilling to have a peaceful conversation with her to change her mind & treat him and me as a family unut and to accept me as part of the family....
Has anyone dealt with anything similar? Any advice to help me deal with this hurt and resentment to my husband is appreciated... Thank you.

Comments (32)

Sponsored