SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
james_walsh67

How soon can I overseed a New Lawn

James Walsh
7 years ago

Everyone,
First time poster and homeowner here. Would love some help from lawn veterans!

I bought a house that was a great house but the landscaping was in disrepair. I cleared away weeds and overgrowth, nuked everything with round up, roto-tilled, layed down topsoil, fertizilier, and Scott's dense shade fescue (as my lawn is pretty shaded from large surrounding pines), and finally a light layer of wheatgrass. I did all of this roughly 2 weeks ago.

The grass has come in fine and I would say the average blade of grass is about 3" with some larger and some smaller. So, the grass that has germinated is doing well. However, the overall "carpet" of grass is very thin and I have some spots that are just soil. I would like my grass to be much denser.

I know this takes time but I would like to ultimately have a very dense and thick lawn. How soon can I overseed the lawn to thicken the current grass and fill in the dark spots? If I can do it again before winter that would be great.

I live in Atlanta, GA. It is 82 degrees out today and a 30 day forecast shows that the high low on November 18 will be 65/47 degrees so I probably have roughly 3 more weeks of good conditions for the seeds to germinate in.

Thanks for your help everyone!

James

Comments (4)