SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
towsonite

Caring for Newly Seeded Lawn over Winter

towsonite
7 years ago

Hi, I recently did a complete kill and reseed on my front lawn. I waited till about October 1st since I was hoping the ground would have cooled off enough to reduce warm weather weed germination and was just about perfect for tall fescue germination here in Maryland IMO. It's really looking beautiful at the moment save a few bare spots that I filled in or overseeded this past weekend. Question is regarding caring for this over winter and into spring. I WISH I only had crabgrass problems here. The bigger issue is goosegrass (which everyone around here confuses with crabgrass). This stuff is perennial so there's no, "well, if it pops up and you care for your lawn correctly it will get choked out." Nope, it does not, and MD Extension essentially says Round Up is needed for it. So, what can I do as far as weed and feed and preemergents between now and my feared goosegrass apocalypse in the spring?

When would be a safe time to start using these products? I know the Scott's brand weed and feeds typically say, "wait until you have mowed it 4 times". I do not anticipate mowing it for the fourth time until early June, long after 99% of the weeds have germinated, and it's hard for me to believe I have to wait 8 months before doing anything. I am not married to Scott's so any suggestions are welcome. One last thing. I really am not concerned about clover, dandelions and things like that that I can kill and control later, it's really just goosegrass and similar perennials that are tough to kill post-emergence that cause me any concern.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments (6)