SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

planting small trees in a rose garden

User
7 years ago

I'm posting this here and not on the tree forum, because I once asked on the conifers forum about planting a cypress tree in a rose garden and I got responses like "roses need sun" and "trees will always over-power roses"; only one lady seemed to understand that my question was about SPACING.Here at least I know there are people who have experience with roses that will "eat a house", let alone a tree,and with climates where the sun is so viscious that roses really PREFER some shade. In fact, after this summer-it was hot, but didn't seem exceptionally so,yet I lost several non-rose shrubs, and saw a lot of burning on rose plants-I've decided to focus on providing more shade to my garden.I bought four magnolias last spring, and they've been growing in pots all summer and are now ready to be planted out. My original idea was to group them off to the side of the main rose area, but now I'm thinking that it might be nice to mix them in with the roses,where the plants could shade each other. How far away from an established rose could I plant a tree? Any ideas?

Comments (18)