SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimigunne98

Problem with new pond & keeping submersible pump clear

jimigunne98
7 years ago

I recently built a small pond that is 11 ft. dia. and 3.5 ft. deep in the center. Just guessing , that is maybe 1200 gallons? I bought a Totalpond submersible pump with 9 W UV and supposedly 950 GPH. I home-brewed a filter with a Rubbermaid box, three bags of charcoal, and a dozen "bio-balls", topped off with several inches of fiberglass insulation.

Well, the pond is staying green, and when I measured to actual flow rate, its only pumping around 300 GPH! And that's with the intake slots clear, and there is a total head of only about 1 foot (submersible is near the shallow edge)! Seems like I got ripped off by false advertising on the product packaging. I am thinking also that 9W is not nearly enough UV power to do much for killing the algae. The other big problem is that there is no covering over the pond and I guess the wind blows lots of dirt and vegetation debris into the pond. However there are no tree limbs directly over it, but there are trees very close by. So in only one to two days, the slots on the pump get clogged up. I don't have a lot of free time, and so this is a big problem to have to lift the pump out of the pond almost daily and clear it!! I am thinking I have to upgrade both the pump and the home-made filter. to keep the water clear. But if I get a bigger submersible I will still have the same problem of it getting clogged up. Is there something I can screen the submersible with that will help keep debris from clogging the pump? Recommendations for submersible and filter upgrade so that the pond will be low maintenance?

Also, I put three Koi fish in, about 3-4 inch long. Their behavior seems odd....they are always down at the very bottom, even now that the hot summer weather is over. They do not even come up to feed when I put food in for them. Whats' up with this?

Comments (4)