SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve1young

Pond Pump, No Filter, Clear Water ... Go Figure!

steve1young
15 years ago

I've had great experiences so far with my pond water, so I thought I'd share. We have a pretty small yard and our pond is pretty small. It's a lined 6'x4' kidney with a consistent flat-bottom depth of 30". We have 2 black milk-crates stacked in the middle of the pond with a layer of stone on top and on top of that is a big oval urn (2' height). The base of the urn sits just below the water surface. The 250gph pump shoots most of the water (some is diverted back into the pond) up and into the urn which overflows into the pond. The water is clear as a bell. You can't really see the milk crates with all of the plants, so it kind-of looks like it's floating. It seems that any sediment that gets pulled in by the pump winds up sinking to the bottom of the urn, thus creating a pretty darn swell natural kind-of filter.

On a side note, I've been bummed that with the only pond in the neighborhood and numerous toad caves and homes built around our gardens, we still don't have any toads/frogs. We even installed a solar light to attract more insects/food at night for the little croaking ones (love the sound), but instead they've taken up residence in some of our neighbors' yards. Go figure.

I'm thinking of taking some advice from you wise ones here and using that diverted water to create a smaller feeder pond that flows into the main pond. Maybe the problem with lack of frogs/toads in our pond is the goldfish.

Wish me luck!

Comments (7)