SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bfroberts

What are the REAL reasons not to use a sump pump for a pond pump?

bfroberts
16 years ago

Hopefully some of you knowledgeable folks can tell me why it is not advisable to use a sump pump for a pond pump? I understand they are not as energy efficient as a good pond pump, but that does not matter to me. I also undertand they are not designed to operate 24/7. That can be remedied by using a timer...provided there would continue to be aeration from another souce when the sump pump is turned off. But are there any other reasons why not? I feel like I just get a bunch of BS reasons from the pond store folks because they want to sell me a high dollar pond pump. My pond is about 1500 gallons, I use a prefilter...something like an Adam's, and I pull it out and hose everything off weekly. The pond is shaded and algae is not a problem. My water is brownish due to oak tree leaves that I DO try religiously to remove, but it is clear water. I have el cheapo goldfish and about 1/3 plant cover at the present which will increase to at least 2/3 over the summer. I do a good clean out in spring to remove debris and repot plants. So far, I have been happy with my set-up. I have been using the sump pump for 2 years with no trouble whatsoever. I just keep reading that sumps are not a good idea. What am I missing?

Comments (17)