SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_townsend

Replacing a thermostat

Mary Townsend
7 years ago

We want to replace our thermostat. I'm going to be a bit ignorant of what questions I need to ask here.

Our current thermostat must manually be changed from heat to cool and we want one that does that transition automatically. We would like it to be wireless (wireless, yes, Nest NO!) so that we can move it some place else (possibly multiple places as we remodel different rooms).

We normally have a spring/fall service and we were thinking of piggybacking this change on that service. The question I have is can we get a thermostat and have it ready for the service person? If so, what do I need to know when shopping for a thermostat?

I know that different thermostats have a different number of wires at the control box. If we go wireless, do we need to get a wireless unit that mimics our wire configuration?

Also, any recommendations about what to buy? We want reasonable cost, not $$$. No changing from heat-cool (ie furnace/AC manually). We would prefer something that has more like a 3-5 degree swing before kicking on rather than one that kicks on everytime it drops 1 degree below target.

Basic programability - we don't need fancy stuff - we are already considerably more efficient than anyone in the neighborhood. Preferably high level of security.

Thoughts?

Comments (8)