SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjloud

Agonizing over selection of smart thermostat

Sara Loud
7 years ago

I'm trying to pick a smart thermostat (well, 3 of them as we have 3 zones -- heat only, no A/C) for our vacation home. I've been reading reviews for weeks and had decided on the Ecobee 3 but when I went to pull the trigger started re-reading and now can't decide between E3 or Nest or something less expensive.

My main interest/use for the thermostat is to be able to monitor the temperature of the home when we are not there for purposes of ensuring that the house isn't too cold and in danger of freezing. I don't actually care if something learns our comings and goings and can sense when we are there or not -- it's really all about having something Reliable (capital intentional!) that is robust in communications/sending alerts if something goes awry.

I have been reading a lot of good things about the Ecobee but then started questioning myself when I read some negative reviews about their reliability (seems to have a high early mortality rate) and reliability issues with the sensors.

Then I started leaning towards the Next (3rd gen) but the bug in January 2016 that drained batteries and made them non-functional --well, that would be an extremely bad outcome for us!

Anyone have recently gone through something similar and have thoughts to share?

Sara

Comments (4)