SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjloud

Agonizing over selection of smart thermostat

Sara Loud
7 years ago

I'm trying to pick a smart thermostat (well, 3 of them as we have 3 zones -- heat only, no A/C) for our vacation home. I've been reading reviews for weeks and had decided on the Ecobee 3 but when I went to pull the trigger started re-reading and now can't decide between E3 or Nest or something less expensive.

My main interest/use for the thermostat is to be able to monitor/control the temperature of the home when we are not there for purposes of ensuring that the house isn't too cold and in danger of freezing. I don't actually care if something learns our comings and goings and can sense when we are there or not -- it's really all about having something Reliable (capital intentional!) that is robust in communications/sending alerts if something goes awry.

I have been reading a lot of good things about the Ecobee but then started questioning myself when I read some negative reviews about their reliability (seems to have a high early mortality rate) and reliability issues with the sensors.

Then I started leaning towards the Next (3rd gen) but the bug in January 2016 that drained batteries and made them non-functional --well, that would be an extremely bad outcome for us!

Anyone have recently gone through something similar and have thoughts to share?

Sara

Comments (11)