SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shady_lady_pa

Agonizing over Washing Machine Purchase - Fisher & Paykel Questions

shady_lady_pa
8 years ago

Good afternoon everyone. My FL Frigidaire died a few weeks ago, and the troubleshooting guide says to replace the control board. It's 9 years old, has the mold problems, etc., and it is destined for the curb. Even though I have loved the energy efficiency and reduced water usage, as well as the excellent cleaning of the front load, I am leaning towards a top-load (while being able to hold on to as many of the positive aspects of the FL as I can). I was able to avoid the agonizing decision for a few weeks by going away, but now it's decision time.

I won't bore you with all the details and reasoning, but I think I'm down to a choice between a low-end top loader to just get me through until I am ready to go with a stacked set, and that won't upset me too much if it craps out in 2 years, vs. investing in a Fisher & Paykel. I am a single mom with 2 kids in the house - 14 year old boy and 11 year old girl, and a dog that sheds like crazy. I wash a LOT of blankets, towels and jeans, but I also need to be able to wash delicate work clothes as well as dance leotards (with netting and/or lace). I've resigned myself to the fact that I will have to take the King size comforter to the laundromat when that needs to be washed, but really need something that will wash twin-size comforters.

I guess my question is do you think the WashSmart (basic model) would be sufficient for my needs? Can I do a load with hot water? The salesperson told me that I would get better cleaning from the AquaSmart model (without the center agitator), but perhaps he was trying to up-sell me. Consumer Reports has the WashSmart rated as gentler than the AquaSmart. That may be what I need for the delicates.

Any insight, experiences, thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (14)