SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
connie_meyer1609

I hate my Fisher Paykel Washing Machine

DiggingInTheDirt
12 years ago

Please advise me. From what I've been reading on this forum, I'm assuming it's operator error, but I can't seem to figure out how to "fix it".

We purchased the Fisher Paykel Intuitive at least 5 years ago, although it seems like an eternity. Our repairman recommended it, and I did research, and the reviews were good, so we bought. (I had a Maytag top load, the old fashioned kind that did a load in 30 minutes, before this.)

The first thing that annoyed me was that the directions said I had to mix water with the laundry detergent before putting it in the machine. That's an inconvenience, but I do it.

But the real problem is that the machine gets unbalanced, and sometimes it's almost impossible to balance it. With my old machine, I would just reach in, shift items, and it would solve the problem. With this machine, I'll shift up to three times, and then I give up and take everything out and reload. What a mess!

So what I've learned is that you can't wash items of different weights. This is especially problematic since my daughters do their own wash, and it's difficult to get them to sort their loads, or to even do additional loads, so this beast doesn't start singing the tweety bird song. (That's what we call the alarm that tells us the load is unbalanced.)

When my husband lost his job, and I was still working, he took over the laundry. What he discovered is that he had to "push" the clothing down, to sort of pack it tight, and then he had less unbalanced loads. Somehow I think that is counterproductive to getting the clothes clean, but I'm just glad I don't have to do the laundry, so I keep quiet. He also discovered that if he changes it to slow spin that that will sometimes fix it. Also, he sometimes changes it from "auto sensing" to "creasables" and that fixes it.

So today, because my daughter asked me to wash her bedding for her, I decided I would do it the RIGHT WAY. First I did the sheets and pillowcases with some lingerie. I placed the items in the basket so they were evenly distributed around the agitator. By the first load, tweety bird was singing. All of the items were on one side on the basket, so I moved them. Still didn't work. Tried again. Fail. So I took out both sheets and placed them in again, carefully wrapping them in a circular fashion so that the weight would be evenly distributed. It worked.

Next, I washed her blanket alone. No problem.

Then I washed her comforter, which is fairly light weight. Again by the first rinse, it was pushed to one side of the basket. I had a heck of a time redistributing it so that it finally finished the cycle.

All of this it taking over three hours to wash. With my old machine, I could have washed the sheets and blanket in one load at 30 minutes, and then the comforter in another load, at 30 minutes, for a total of one hour. So I have a complaint with the amount of time involved as well.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong! Help!!

Comments (7)