SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter1242

Inexpensive & Effective Mulch & Amendments

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So the composting ground hardwood mulch I put down last Spring is almost fully decomposed. There will be nothing left next Spring, it is broken down enough to mix into the soil. It did a great job last year, and at this point it has completely failed as a weed blocker, but is making free compost in place in the garden. It's heavy nature made it a very effective weed blocker and moisture retainer, though I wouldn't put it up against most plants, it is more of a pathway mulch, but for that purpose I was very happy with it. It was well ground and already starting to compost.

I have a large pile of compost, which was mostly weeds, to add to the garden, but there is likely weed seeds in it so it would make a poor mulch.

I am going to have tons of leaves I can add in any way would be the most productive. Laid bare as mulch, ground and mixed into the soil, pre-composted etc. I also have some large piles of composting leaves in the backyard I could make use of, though I am leery due to ticks... we live in a deer tick/lyme endemic area.

I have overextended financially and can't afford to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on mulch next year. I live in a fairly urban area, and weed free straw/hay is almost impossible to come by.

I am open to any suggestions on the best way to amend & mulch my soil for next year. I have very rich soil that only needs upkeep and not reinventing the wheel.

Comments (12)