SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmgresko

Need advice - new/expensive curtains look BLAH!

I rarely purchase expensive window treatments and have always been more of a DIY'er, But I couldn't properly install (I tried) due to height and what I now know is a steel beam in the wall. I ended up treating myself to expensive curtains made from gorgeous material from India. My idea for my comfy living room was to bring in curtains of a rich color along the lines of a shimmering blue to liven up a grey sectional and other silver and blue accents. I also have a heavy iron coffee table with two matching end tables from a prior home design. I found a beautiful material which I thought would pull it all together - a satiny blue shade with a dark brown thread design (picture attached.) After the installer left I stood back and took it all in and was underwhelmed and disappointed. I had planned on painting anyway since I haven't touched the neutral beige walls since I bought my condo. But now I feel real pressure to pick a color that will make my expensive curtains give me the wow I really thought I was getting. I have no clue at this point what will turn this purchase around and would love to get your opinions and advice. (I wonder how many also think I should ditch the shag area rug.)

Thank you - all advice will be appreciated!

Lisa - Chicago

Comments (52)

• User
    7 years ago

My first thought was "gunmetal", like this BM gunmetal. I would try mixing it 50/50 with white.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked User
  • Lisa Greskoviak Murgas
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, Abby! I was thinking lighter as well, my hesitation is that the curtain rods are so dark I think that is what is making my eyes sore looking at the room. But color has such an impact it may save this.

• Related Discussions

Need advice: Best fabric for white cafe curtains.

Q

Comments (10)
    I just popped in today to ask for information, and it looks like I am doing the same thing --- almost. Our Recreation Room is off the kitchen and used to be a garage. We need to cover the windows that go across the front of the two car garage, but we do not want people to see in. There are no valances that will fit, so I am going to take your fabric idea and go with it. Should I line the fabric? Could you tell me how much to get? Do I double the width? We will have a number of curtains together gathered at the top running through a rod -- at least that is what we have now. I would appreciate any advice you can give me. (I am not trying to hyjack your thread, but it is a real coincidence that I am doing the same thing. I, too, have not sewn much for quite awhile, but I have made most of our curtains, and even slip covers. Slip covers are the hardest things I have ever made, and will not do that again, but curtains aren't bad. I like tab tops, but are there any modern ways to do the tabs other than to make them, and turn them? Thanks Sammy
    ...See More

Decorating around curtains I don't love but too expensive to replace

Q

Comments (63)
    For anyone on a budget I suggest you locate the nearest (larger) Habitat for Humanity Restore Store. Another place to look is Goodwill. Inventory changes daily w/donations and sales. Some charity/church sponsored thrift stores also sell furniture. I didn't know these places existed until my Sister-In-Law suggested we stop. I bought a heavy solid oak platform rocker from Habitat on a furniture clearance day for <$40. (I sniffed the cushions before buying.) A month or so later I bought a sturdy solid oak floor lamp/table/combo there for $10. Sometimes there is nothing interesting; other times you find a treasure. It's well worth a look.
    ...See More

We r struggling w/new paint color. To expensive to fix, any advice?

Q

Comments (6)
    I hope you get inspired to do it. Not hard or expensive. I think you’d be happy with results. Your house is like a pretty face that just needs a little bit of flattering makeup.
    ...See More

Curtains too high? Add roman shades? Accent wall? Looking For Advice.

Q

Comments (17)
    Thanks again! So if I order these curtains in Ivory: https://www.ballarddesigns.com/fringed-burlap-panel/rugs-drapery/drapery/burlap/162904 Should I get the roman shades in Ivory as well? I found these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hanna-Fabric-Roman-Shades-14-Colors-Free-Shipping-1800-Series/121441358089?hash=item1c46781109%3Am%3Amml67795rPST5g-10PjhntA&var=420383549431 I also found bamboo ones: (natural color, whitewash is kind of cool too?): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bamboo-Roman-Shade-Five-Colors-Free-Shipping/121456792919?hash=item1c47639557%3Am%3AmVPDoH35s1-lJ4XHov0nYpw%3Asc%3AUPSGround%2180602%21US%21-1&var=420397536102 As far as adding color to the room... am I safe to go with pretty much anything as long as I'm consistent throughout the room? E.g. pillows for couch, throw blanket, artwork on walls, etc.?
    ...See More
  • joaniepoanie
    7 years ago

I think some bold patterned throw pillows on the sofa would help. Everything looks like solid colors in your pictures. The drapes come across as a solid even though they have a small print. I think some print pillows and maybe even some bolder artwork might do the trick. I like the room.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked joaniepoanie
  • Lisa Greskoviak Murgas
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mimi - thank you! I swear gunmetal came to mind as well yesterday. Maybe I'm not too far off - thanks again!

• User
    7 years ago

And the curtains are gorgeous. I love the material.

• Lisa Greskoviak Murgas
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, Joanie - I agree - I am a bit of a commitment-phobe with style but I need pattern!

• erinsean
    7 years ago

I like your room very much...that said, I am not a drape puddled person so I would either raise your curtain rod or hem the pretty ones you have...I would also pull the round end table back and put a lamp on it.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked erinsean
  • Kitch4me
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would raise the curtain rods. Maybe it's the angle of the pictures, but, the rods look like they are at slightly different heights. If possible, I would also push the curtains back to show more of the window. Nice room!

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked Kitch4me
  • letham_burns
    7 years ago

I agree with joaniepoanie : some vibrant pillows and/or art pieces will really bring the room to life. Great curtains and room, BTW!

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked letham_burns
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

I agree, what you're missing is an accent color. I'd try that before resorting to all the work and, worse yet, the upheaval involved in repainting.

You might want to add more lamps too.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked Vertise
  • Lisa Greskoviak Murgas
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you! I am so focused on paint and I agree maybe curtain length and more color are definitely needed before starting on paint! I feel like I need to not have everything in the couch area - or maybe some deco chair near the window...

• User
    7 years ago

What about white shears behind the curtain? It would give layering and depth.

Just a thought ;-)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

I would raise the rods rather than hem.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • Lisa Greskoviak Murgas
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Raising the rods - seems everyone agrees the length is off! I think that is it - there's that gap above the rod. And mimi - you are so right - the curtains seems wide and flat - a sheer layer will definitely provide dimension! I've invested so much in these I think it is worth the added cost and time to have them return to make some tweaks.

• grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

I think that your room and curtains are beautiful! I love the idea of white sheers!

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

Why were the curtains on the small window hung higher than on the large window?

• Lisa Greskoviak Murgas
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Snookums - it's a good question and I didn't notice until someone else mentioned it here as well. At different angles I kept thinking it was an illusion but just measured and there is an inch difference. I'm going to contact the company and have them raise the lower one.

• Lisa Greskoviak Murgas
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you grapefruit - I am also excited about the sheers idea :-)

• orchidrain
    7 years ago

What a lovely room! It just draws me into it. I also love the drapes and your wall décor.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked orchidrain
  • blubird
    7 years ago

In addition to raising the rod, (and hemming if needed) those drapes need to be "trained". They appear to need a good pressing and then a little work is needed to straighten those pleats and "set" them. Were those installers drapery installers?

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked blubird
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Wow, these are gorgeous curtains.

As previous posters suggested, I'd look into adding more vibrant colors/patterns to the room, possibly carrying blue in different shades..like a peacock maybe, and couple more..to repeat the color and vary its depth at the same time.

Throw pillows, art you love, brilliantly colored vase..you name it. All of these will work too:)

I'd also add just a tiny drop of contrasting color. Maybe in art. It doesn't need much..just a drop. The tiny accent will underscore your blue, won't fight it or take away from it, but will make it deeper too.

Even something as simple as a pink or red flower will suffice I guess.

Hard to say about wall color..maybe you don't need to change it at all. I also suspect it looks a bit different in reality that in the pics..most of the time I snap pics of my rooms only the ones that are taken in rooms that enjoy great light come across as being true to what they are.

They do seem a bit different height to me..which is strange given they've been professionally installed. One inch, wow. Well, they will take care of it I believe.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked aprilneverends
  • Lisa Greskoviak Murgas
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you blu and april! Yes the gentleman was a pro drapery installer with the company, 30 years of experience. He installed them yesterday and told me not to close them for a day or two to train them. I pulled them open for the pictures to show more color and pattern. I won't touch them now for a while. I've been struggling with art! I like iron and wood and truthfully, this living room was a project to get me into different colors and out of tans and reds which I always worked with. So this palette is new to me. These posts have made me think about pops of a purple tone somehow, or a brilliant deep blue - a blue so very different than anything in the room. I do think I may get rid of the large shag rug and let the dark wood color help out!!

• User
    7 years ago

Love the shag rug! Great texture.

We have a shag rug in the BR and I love how it feels to walk on. Vacuuming is another matter ;-)

• prairiemom61
    7 years ago

Hang the rods as high as possible and still have the drapes about 1/2" from the floor. You have three horizontal lines fighting at the top of each window. With the rod moved higher it will blend with the line of the ceiling/wall angle. I find it very odd that one set is lower. They really need to be the same height. I hope they make this right for you. I agree with others, a pop of a warm or bright color, on the wall and in a couple of accessories will really help. Pretty room!

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked prairiemom61
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    7 years ago

The curtains and fabric are lovely.

I wonder if it might be the cooler tones in the room in general that you're reacting too, rather than the curtains "underperforming". The addition of the curtains definitely bumps up the coolness in the room. Adding some red or orange or coral etc. would help add some warm tones. I would definitely think carefully before painting the room BM Gunmetal, even at 50 percent, because it's a very cool (vs. warm) gray.

I think too the curtain pattern is small enough that from a distance it reads like a solid. So you have the solid "looking" curtains, the solid shag rug, the solid section, etc. without any pattern to break it up.

I would definitely consider a different carpet, something with a pattern with some red or orange, which are the natural complement to blue, as well as some brown from the curtains. Do you live somewhere where you could buy a rug on approval, to give it a test run? Or borrow one from a family member or friend? And some cushions for the sofa with the same colors, and maybe a throw with some pattern. To add some more texture without the shag rug, maybe a small sheepskin from Ikea over the ottoman in the winter.

Just a few ideas, without knowing what you'd prefer for a carpet style...

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

My first thought was that the drapes need to clear the floor, i.e. hang them higher, as others have said. The second was a new carpet which should have some blue in it but also reds, tans and perhaps greens. More vibrant pillows would also help greatly, because at this point the drapes seem to overwhelm the room. You don't seem to care from strongly colored art on the walls but I think it's almost necessary so that the drapes are not the focal point of the room, which is not really what you want. The drapes are lovely and I don't see the necessity of sheers, which would involve another curtain rod, but that's up to you. A good place to buy rugs is esalerugs because you can return them without paying shipping if you don't like the one you've chosen. I wouldn't change the wall color, which is nice, until you've tried other things. By the way the room looks rather unbalanced and empty, and a loveseat or chair in front of the large window would be a nice idea, and again will give you a chance to incorporate some other colors.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

Some more throws -- these are all from Crate & Barrel

and some more rugs, this one from Target,

this from Home Depot,

• pkpk23
    7 years ago

Curtains are lovely. Would have rods at same height although IRL the difference might not be as obvious as in photo. Rods ok height and curtains puddling on floor is personal preference. Would not add sheers- dated look. Really think wall color not a good match with rest of room. Definitely needs accent color- orange would be my choice.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked pkpk23
    7 years ago

Another possibility for a quick change, and easy to find at this time of year : )

Orange Pillar Candles · More Info

Or this (Pottery Barn) for the coffee table,

Also from PB,

• C Marlin
    7 years ago

I'm also thinking you need something with a pattern, maybe a vibrant new rug, something that picks up the present colosr and adds a bold accent to put in throw pillows also. I see too many neutral solids, you want to walk into "fun" color.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked C Marlin
  • arkansas girl
    7 years ago

To me they look odd hanging on the floor like that. I love the curtain itself though, just not the way they are hung or is it the length? Why are the dragging on the floor like that?

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked arkansas girl
  • lizzierobin
    7 years ago

Once you have the curtains evened out, as everyone has suggested, a few pops of an accent color (as suggested) in pillows, throws, accessories and maybe a rug, are all you'd need. The curtains and the fabric you choose are very nice, so don't doubt yourself. :-)

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked lizzierobin
  • k9arlene
    7 years ago

adding warm colors as an accent to the room as some have suggested Is going to take away from the gorgeous curtains that you really want to showcase. I love the cool, serene vibe of your room as it is. For now all I would do is paint the room a very light gray to highlight the curtains. I don't care for the puddling on the floor either.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked k9arlene
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

Put some lights on!

• lascatx
    7 years ago

I haven't read all the comments -- just enough to see you talking about painting (and see the throw and accent color suggestions above). The first thing I would try would be swapping pillows on your sofa to include some blue and grey/beige -- tie in the drapes). Then add a throw or some other accents. Colors are tough to accurately access on a computer screen, but I don't see a clash so much as the parts of the room don't' talk to each other. The blah factor is more a factor of those elements standing on their own - as if you walked into a cocktail party and everyone was standing with arms folded just staring into space. Create a flow -- a conversation for your eyes.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked lascatx
  • nutsaboutplants
    7 years ago

The curtains themselves look gorgeous. I too,would hang them higher so they're barely touching the floor. And add one accent color and patterns. Pretty room!

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked nutsaboutplants
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

I love your room. The things I see: 1. Drapes puddling on floor. Raise drapes or hem. 2. Rod different heights. 3. Pull rug back from window slightly to leave a border of wood. I like the rug. 4. Try sheers in white or a very pale grey (like someone else suggested).

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    7 years ago

Your new curtains are very beautiful. As others have said, please raise them up. Call the hanger back and state you are not satisfied with the way they were hung and not all the window in alignment. Agree with beckysharp that your rug needs to be changed to a colorful one. And, colorful throw pillows. Once those endeavors are undertaken, I believe you will love your room. Please don't add anymore gray of any color.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    7 years ago

Designer Laurel Bern had a new post last night about a reader's conundrum, "I wanted charming home decor, but ended up with blah", which made me think of this thread.

I think rather than accents and an accent color taking away from the curtains, these accents instead complement and highlight all of the elements in the room, making everything look better. The way the right paint color can bring out better tones in wood or tile. Or like well-done makeup -- if you look at a friend and just see the makeup, well, that's a fail. But if you look at a friend and think wow, she looks great or healthier or more well-rested but you just can't put your finger on why, well, that's a job well done : ) .

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I love the suggestions of rugs and throws in complementing colors.

Together with that-while that would be a route which I'd probably choose for my own room, I'm not sure that's the route the OP wanted to go.

Of course that is something that only she knows..or will know soon:)

But my suggestions were based on what I originally saw in the mood of the room..that's why I wrote to bring different shades of the same colors, to make it all deeper and more interesting..like all the people at the party would stop just standing there, and suddenly feel they actually want to talk, lol..I love the lascatx's comparison. And that's why I suggested just a bit of contrasting accent..to bring the depth of the main scheme out, to underscore it-yet not to change it completely.

Granted, it would be an absolutely charming room, with plenty of warm, vivid accents added. The rusty oranges and reds are amazing. (btw I happen to have one of the similar throws..in different colors though)

But it will become a different room, that will say different things. The conversation between all the pieces will become different.

You should have a conversation going on, and I feel very strongly about that-but it should be a conversation you're enchanted with.

Faster or slower, joyful or more contemplative, with lots of hints-or festively all out there.

That's something for Imgresko to decide.

It's a fun decision, and can turn out incredibly beautiful, whichever route she decides to take.

Imgresko, it's a beautiful room, and it will be cool to see which way it goes, and how you decide to develop it.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked aprilneverends
  • artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I like what you have in your original photos -- a splash of rust/orange on something or two would provide a good extra accent. Don't overdo adding in pillows -- most folks hate having to find a way to politely move them aside without offending hosts or doing their backs in by using a surplus of them. A couple well-chosen ones will do nicely.

I notice the puddling drapes -- if you have pets, you may seriously want to reconsider those. Cat toys, dog toys.. nope.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked artemis_ma
  • Sunnysmom
    7 years ago

Do you have the name of the fabric?

I think it would look great against my soon to be light grey walls.

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked Sunnysmom
  • mrspete
    7 years ago

I agree with the majority:

- Raise the curtains a bit

- Add some pattern and pops of color

This can be a great room, and you shouldn't change those great curtains!

Lisa Greskoviak Murgas thanked mrspete
  • Lisa Greskoviak Murgas
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for all the amazing ideas! I am guilty of blaming the curtains for what is really due to some of the other elements. I would have gone a little darker with the blue curtains if I knew but I will make it work!

Sunnysmom - the fabric is from Carole Fabrics. Pattern: Grand Finale. Color: Marine. (2278811004) www.carolenet.com

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Imgresko, You have a lovely room. The curtains by themselves are beautiful. I think you if incorporate the feedback that is given, the room would look even more beautiful.

Did you get the fabrics sewn in India or did you buy the fabric from India? Just curious.

• Lisa Greskoviak Murgas
    7 years ago
    I bought the curtains from EddieZ's. They have an enormous selection, anything you could possibly want. The people are professional and seasoned. Thank you for your feedback!!
    7 years ago

Lisa, you didn't mention if you want to add some some complementary color or stay with your existing color scheme. If you want to do the latter, the room actually has a lot of different fairly dark and/or cool colors in large masses -- beige (walls), blue and dark brown (curtains), dark and light gray (sectional, ottoman, rug), and dark brown/black iron (coffee table and curtain rods, table lamp). There’s also no pattern and little texture.

If you want to add some sparkle, eliminate one color, and help tie the disparate elements together, I’d consider replacing at least some of the dark/iron elements with silver ones. I can’t tell if the round wall hanging is sparkly. A few ideas:

Especially if you stay with the blues and grays, take Ingrid's suggestion about a chair by the window. Maybe something like this from Ballard,

You don’t need a lot of pillows, just a few, maybe a pair of one and one of another; these are all from Etsy at TheHomeCentric,

Pier 1 mirror,

PB coffee table,

PB table lamp,

And PB has pewter and polished nickel curtain hardware.

Or, to better tie in the brown from the curtains, instead of silver use warm brass and bronzy elements, like this PB mirror,

And Ballard has brass curtain hardware

• Lisa Greskoviak Murgas
    7 years ago
    beckysharpe I love the dark blue pillows in the pictures you sent. It's hard to tell but two of the existing pillows are silver and blue, but very cool. You're spot on, my vision of this room was sparkling silver and blues. But I missed by doing everything so cool. This palette is so new to me. I think adding some color contrast is the key for sure, at least in a different rug or pillows, like you and subs others suggested. I'm leaning towards midnight blues, like the pillows you show, or incorporate some tone if purple. Contrary to the reserved style of the room, my preference is to add some bold, heavy accents. Thank you for the incredible suggestions and pictures, too!
  • Pipdog
    7 years ago

I think the curtains are beautiful. I agree with the others that the rods need to be higher and the length of the curtains adjusted. Since you have a deep toned sectional and a mid-toned rug and curtains, the mid-toned beige on the walls is dragging the room down - it feels too heavy. I would contrast those darker elements with a lighter paint tone, something along the lines of a creamy white like BM's Swiss Coffee. Then I would add some texture in the form of accessories and throw pillows with pattern. I envision something along the lines of this

• Lisa Greskoviak Murgas
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Pipdog for another great visual! I am not very good at color after-the-fact; I am going to get some palette ideas from Houzz or Pintrest for blues, greys, metallic and I suspect a creamy color like this will be part of a very pretty palette. Perhaps like grey will as well. I do know I am not liking the beige I have right now but with all the help here I am now very pleased with the curtains and excited about looking at art and some different pillows to start. I'd been holding off on art pieces until I make certain that nothing I have in my inventory will work with the paint at this point.