SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

I've just about had it with Golden Celebration.... or have I?

KnoxRose z7
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have had Golden Celebration for a few years now, I bought it bare root from DA the first year I fell in love with roses, planted it near a south/east facing wall, and over the years it has grown quickly & aggressively, always producing a gorgeous, fragrant display in the spring, it sounds like the perfect rose, that is of course until immediately after that first spring flush is over, it blackspots from top to bottom, never regains it's foliage, grows gangly and awkward, drags it's flowers on the ground, and just generally looks like crap. Any attempt at grooming the plant only produces awkward vertical lines or big gaping holes that never fill in quite right. I am not the type of person who will spray for BS, so in vain I attempt to control it by trimming any congested areas in or around the shrub, but to no avail. It seems unless I'm willing to spray religiously (which I am not) this shrub will never be happy in my garden. I'm really pondering ripping it out.

Rewind a bit: After getting frustrated with this grafted GC, yet out of love for the gorgeous golden fragrant flowers, I bought a second own root GC last summer, I planted it in the ground this spring, in 100% full bright burning all day sun, near a concrete curb that keeps it very warm. I wanted to compare how it would do in full day sun to 5 hrs of morning sun, also comparing grafted/own root. It still still quite young so it is hard to say how it will do long term, & it still blackspots, although not nearly as badly as the older grafted plant. I have noticed one difference that confuses me more than anything though, the flowers on this version of GC are a much more clear, lemony yellow than the more golden, amber influenced yellow that the grafted plant produces. I much prefer the more lemon yellow version, and if this own root/full sun plant can give me that with less blackspot then I will definitely keep it around. I do think I may have to say goodbye to my large grafted specimen soon, it is in a very visible spot in my front yard & I'm just done with it's gangly, disease ridden, overgrown awkwardness.

SO, having said all that, does anyone have any suggestions for reblooming yellow shrub roses that don't cover themselves with blackspot every summer that might be good in this highly visible area in my front yard that receives about 5 hours of morning sun?

I already have/ have had:

A Poet's Wife (mixed feelings so far, some BS, still very new plants)

Happy Go Lucky (Blooms a lot but may be leaving soon too due to BS issues)

Julia child (love but already have several)

Charlotte (love but wish the flowers didn't fade so much)

Well Being (love, still a baby plant, also not 100% yellow)

Honey Bouquet (mixed feelings, love the frequent blooms & disease resistance, hate the long straight Hybrid Tea style canes)

St. Patrick (love, my favorite modern hybrid tea so far)

Lone Star (love so far, still very new)

Solero Vigorosa (love so far, still new, and very tiny)

Lemon Fizz (love so far, still new)

Sunsprite (blackspotted itself to death)

and several yellow tea roses (need to mature before I can judge them)

I just don't know of anything else out there! I do want to try Kordes Golden Fairy Tale, I haven't yet only because I never seem to swoon over photos of it, & I used to have Graham Thomas, (whom I do swoon over in photos), but I got rid of it because after 3 years in a pot it produced maybe 2 flowers total, I have recently been lamenting that decision as I've seen several posts about how he can be a "late bloomer" (hardy har) I wish that I had kept him around a little longer, I didn't realize that soon I would just be done with GC's shenanigans.

Thanks for reading my rant & for any responses!

Jessica.

Comments (12)