SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justincaseme

Kikuyu AZ-1 Lawn weed control

Justin
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I recently planted a brand new lawn from Kikuyu AZ-1 seed. After 3 weeks, the new grass is beautiful - thin tall blades and a rich green color. I made the mistake though of only applying one treatment of herbicide to the ground before doing the planting. My lawn, particularly the backyard, is now infested with the weed Common Purslane (as my old lawn had been before). Whoops.

Kikuyu lawns in Southern California are rare, and the AZ-1 variety is even rarer. None of the locally available herbicides mention being safe for Kikuyu Lawn's. I found one online that is Kikuyu-safe but it's only sold in Australia.

Does anyone know of an herbicide, readily available in Southern California, that I can use to kill the Common Purslane (and broadleaf weeds), while not harming the Kikuyu AZ-1?

By the way, when I was first researching Kikuyu AZ-1 I had trouble finding good photos of it online. Most information on the web is about the Whittet variety. Here are some up close photos of AZ-1 from my actual lawn.

Comments (22)