SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aka_peggy

Use of a lawn roller for weed control (pic)

aka_peggy
18 years ago

In the spring DH and I built a grape arbor made of young locust trees. We wanted to use flagstone pavers for a floor but couldn't fit it into the budget this year. So instead we laid down landscape fabric and put shredded hardwood mulch over that. There was nutsedge growing in that area and I know it's capable of growing thru the landscape fabric. I happen to have a lawn roller so I decided to use it to compress the mulch. It worked really well by compressing the mulch to the point that it felt almost like a hard surface. It looked so good that I decided to roll the mulch in some of my other beds. By this fall I discovered another benefit to rolling the mulch. Generally I get weed seeds (particularly corn speedwell and dandelions) that germinates on the mulch but this fall there were no weeds in any of the beds I rolled out. Apparently the mulch was so compressed that there's little air space for weed seeds to fall into and take hold. And so far...no nutsedge. However I don't hold out much hope that the nutsedge won't reappear next year.

Here's a picture of a lawn roller in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

http://www.composters.com/docs/lawncare5.html?gclid=CLXpzM_j8oECFThnOAod1yKxPw

Here's the finished arbor.

{{gwi:1353638}}

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES