SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshucar

Taking control, weed problem in lawn

joshucar
9 years ago

Apologize in advance for the duplicate post (as I'm sure one exists) but did not find anything that seemed to match well.

Short story is we recently adopted a lawn that has seen better days. It's generally about 35% weeds and in places its upwards of 75%. Mostly a combination of dandelions, creeping charlie, and clover.

I've heard that the best defense against weeds is a healthy lawn but that seems to imply I should have a healthy lawn or a lawn. I'm not entirely sure the best path to take to go from what I have to a healthy lawn.

I'm a fairly patient person and am willing to do what I have to, and take as much time as I need to approach this from a eco-friendly perspective. I'd like to avoid chemicals, store bought fertilizers, and other things that would make my kids, pets, or downstream world cringe.

It's a small-ish yard and I'm willing to do a manual labor but it seems impractical to actually pull all of those weeds. That said, if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

If possible, I'd like to avoid a complete redo (read turn yard to dirt and reseed) to leave the kids somewhere to play.

I do realize that we're fast approaching summer so if it makes sense to shelve this until the fall (or the spring) that's fine, but hopefully there are some steps we can take sooner to get the process going.

Appreciate any responses in advance!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company