SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ba_tex

Springtime Lawn Plan / Weed control, identification and advice

ba_tex
14 years ago

Now that the beginning of March has introduced some warmer weather to San Antonio, I am anxiously making plans to do some serious yard work. This will be my first spring in this house (new to me). My front yard is facing South and primarily St. Augustine (although I can not tell the variety). The back yard I'll save for a later post.

After much research on improving the health of the lawn, my basic plan is as follows: I will core aerate the yard sometime in the next few weeks and spread a 1/3 to 1/2 inch topcoat of compost over the entire lawn to promote healthy growth.

My questions are:

Should I fertilize in addition to compost?

Where is the best compost in San Antonio? or is all compost from reputable companies almost the same?

I have some winter grass clumps (shall i call it weed grass) that I can't identify and don't know if I should just let the warm weather and St. Augustine take care of it or if I have a more serious problem. If so, please advise on a remedy. I have attached a picture of a section of the yard and a close up of the grass clump. (If you are in San Antonio, this grass is all over the place and in yards that have not been mowed during the winter. This grass stands out with its large clumpy growth and bright green color.)

I also have an abundance of a particular weed. Again, I ask for advice on controlling its growth. Chemically? Mechanically? or just let the St. AugustineÂs growth take it over.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions for improving my plan. I will update the subject of my posting with the weed name after it is positively identified.

Image link:

Comments (6)