SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeramie_anders

How to improve lawn, weeds taking over.

Jerm
6 years ago

Need advice on how to help my lawn that's being overrun by weeds.

Size: 1.75 acres

Have irrigation system

Moved in 2 years ago and have not applied any fertilizer and haven't done a thing but mow the grass, which I do on highest setting and leave clippings on grass.

Attached are some random pictures of the yard. The two main weeds taking over the lawn have white and yellow flowers and have spread dramatically this year and I'm determined to fix the problem. From what it looks like online they thrive in grass with low nitrogen.

Here's my plan but looking for advice from those that know more.

1. Apply Estate summer fertilizer (27/0/9 blend) to get some nitrogen in the ground.\

2. Adjust sprinklers to water a section of the yard one day a week for 30 min at each station (17 stations will probably spread over 3 days (6 stations per day for 30 min).

3. Purchase core aerator to pull with lawn mower. Use Aerator around labor day and purchase grass seed to overseed. (adjust sprinklers after seeding to encourage germination)

4. Aerate in spring and overseed.

5. Apply fall and spring fertilizer religiously going forward

6. rinse and repeat for the next couple years until things are under control.

Some questions I have are..

Is now an ok time to put down an initial summer fertilizer? I figure I should now to at least get some nutrients in the soil to prepare for seeding this fall.

Do I water after putting down fertilizer?

What type of grass should I buy to overseed with?

Should I use a fertilizer with weed control? We have well water and the wife is hesitant to use anything but organic methods for weed control. We are currently using vinegar/salt/soap mixture and plan on using corn meal in the flower beds and between pavers to control weeds (sans salt for flower beds with nearby flowers/plants).

Anything I'm missing?

Comments (5)