SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladygibbs

Master Suite Addition

ladygibbs
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello again! I'm back. We have finally found a contractor that is willing to do our master suite addition with a basement. We hit a couple snags with the original planned size of the addition and have to change to a 16' x 26' design, with a stair bump out to get to the basement which doesn't start until 4' from the bottom/east wall.

Here is the current floorplan, and since we are getting really close to starting I'd love some more feedback on the design and layout. Plus any tips, things I've missed, or suggestions of things you would incorporate into a master suite. We really want this to be our dream addition.

To recap, we are wanting a two person shower and tub, large windows, preferably a window on the front/south of the house for aesthetics. (left side) Also need room for a minimum 24" x 36" furnace closet.

Thank you so much for your time!

Comments (25)

• cpartist
    7 years ago

12' deep for a master bedroom is doable but it's tight. Yes you have room for a dresser at the foot of the bed. King bed is 80" long without headboard or footboard. So that leaves you with 64". A wide dresser would be 24" and most are about 21" wide so that will give you just about 3' walking room around the bed.

Personally, I'm a klutz and go bump in the night when I wake up. I would personally prefer an extra foot in the master bedroom, which is doable with lakeviewgirl's plan. You would lose the linen closet in the bathroom, but would still have plenty of room for the tub and shower, and the large vanity. And with her layout of the closet, you'll still actually be ahead of the game regarding hanging space.

• Related Discussions

Master Suite Addition Floorplan Help

Q

Comments (67)
    That's a pretty vanity MClarke - but we'de really prefer separate his & hers pieces to avoid my 'counter creep'... Plus, having one long vanity on the left wall puts one person using a vanity under a lower ceiling. That's why I had to X out two of the 'why don't you try' options on the bottom. Do you think the two 5' vanities in the top left option are too small? What about the 8' + 5' vanities in the top right plan? That doesn't give me my FFP (which doesn't exist - the armoire does, but wouldn't be right for the bath) but the sight lines from the bathroom door would still be attractive (the main reason for my longed-for FFP).
    ...See More

Things to consider when doing a Master Suite addition.

Q

Comments (3)
    How many sq feet you planning on doing, what will be the bathroom area sq feet, also a rough layout of how it will attach to the existing house with what rooms or area it is connected ,will help me giving some idea ( I build quite allot room additions) Example of 20 x 20 room addition, will be 12 x 20 living area while remaining 8 x 20 will be for closet and bathroom it will give you long living area where you can have your master bed and a corner of sitting area, or you can use it for any other purpose. The dimension I mention above could be changed to any size that may fit you, larger room smaller bathroom larger bath smaller closet ( you get the idea) º
    ...See More

breakfast room/Master Suite addition suggestions?

Q

Comments (3)
    Instead of a door to the MBR right off the dining room, I'd suggest creating some sort of hallway as the "entrance" to the MBR.
    ...See More

Master suite addition—which floorplan?

Q

Comments (10)
    Number three is what I am leaning towards as well. I agree with having windows added to the sides if they bedroom, the more natural light the better :) We’ve decides to work with an architect for the exterior work and I think they will review the inside. I think that’s a great idea to move the bedroom entry past the laundry, I hadn’t thought of that. When the kids are old enough to their own laundry that will be much nicer!
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Here's what I mean:

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! Here is another picture showing how the addition will connect to the house. The colored part would be the addition. The grey area is where there will be no basement, so the furnace can't go there because of down flow duct work, and either can the stairs. As you can see the door into the new master suite is unfortunately stuck where it is. There is just no option because of the existing stairwell.

Our current bedroom is where the bed/office is. And we could change the plans to keep that as the master, since they will be about the same size. But the view will be better in the addition, and also we are looking forward to a large bay window...

We have a queen bed with no plans to upgrade. (Just bought a new bedframe) So the bed in my picture is to scale.

I did consider having the closet open into the bedroom, and I like that design. But I am worried it would be the aisle too tight in the closet, and also in the bathroom. Do you think there is be enough room to be comfortable?

Also, we have to be able to access the front of the furnace, which is the short side. Any ideas on how to make this possible? Keeping in mind it can't be in the grey area.

You guys are awesome!

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is the other plan I had drawn up previously that solves the furnace issue, and gives us the bigger closet & bedroom. How do you feel about this one? Better?

• chisue
    7 years ago

I wouldn't like making the 'end run' through the MBR between MBA and closet.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Off to a movie right now, but I'm going to play a bit either later tonight or tomorrow. I personally would like my bed up against the window wall with the entry to the bathroom/closet at the bottom. This way neither person has to walk around the bed to get to the bathroom

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    7 years ago

Your winder stairs down are asking for a problem of transit and/or moving anything large up or down the stairs. The location of the furnace means you will be fortunate enough to wake up and hear it every time it come on. The placement of your bed means you will always have a good view of the bathroom door and the interior of the bathroom. Are these the things you are trying to achieve?

• Renee Texas
    7 years ago

A note on the bed fitting- our Master is 13x13, and we have a queen- will never have a king, and it fits just fine. We also have a large enough closet there is no need for storage in the bedroom, just night stands, and the perpetual argument about mounting a tv or not. So, something to consider.As a pure bedroom, where we sleep and don't have "sitting room" and special areas, it works just fine for us- we chose to dedicate footage to other areas.

We also have a seperated closet/bathroom, and prefer that set-up as we don't need to bother each other in the bath to get to the closet, as it was a problem in a former residence.

• chisue
    7 years ago

I don't like to walk through a bathroom to a closet either. We have a short hall with flanking closets between the MBR and the MBA.

• homechef59
    7 years ago

I'm just the opposite. I hate having to walk from the bath through the bedroom to get to the closet. My DH keeps very weird hours. It's nice that his activities can be contained in the bath/closet without disturbing me.

• Beth
    7 years ago

I would want a water closet rather than the toilet in the open like that. With the large shower, if someone is using the toilet and the other is in the shower, they're on display to each other. I don't mind watching DH in the shower :-) but I'd rather be more private using the commode. I would give up a lot in order to get a private toilet room.

I do like having the closet accessible through the bathroom--I shower, then go get clothes. It works for us.

For the shower size, be very careful that they are just under 72" rather than just over. There's a huge increase in door cost when you go over 6'. (Ask me how I know that). In most parts of our build, being off an 1" wasn't a big deal--when we went to pick out a shower door, that extra inch or two cost hundreds of dollars and decreased our choices.

Good luck!

• stephja007
    7 years ago

Hi Ladygibbs, I'm a little late to the game but hopefully this can help you.

First though, why are you stuck in a 16x26 design?

What is the existing exterior house material? If it's something more 'permanent' such as brick and you do not plan on refacing the entire wall, I would stagger the exterior wall. If it is siding and you plan to remove all existing siding and do it all over, it's ok to have it in-line with the existing, however it's typically better on the foundations to stagger. And IMHO staggering helps blend in the addition.

The stair with the corner - that is wasted, you're essentially paying for the foundation, paying for the exterior wall framing, exterior siding/brick. All you have to pay for is joists and flooring material and you've got all that extra room for a few pieces of lumber and flooring.

The stairs shown are also way too small, you will have crazy steep stairs or 4' of headroom on the way down there.

I quickly copied and pasted (and stretched) this up before seeing it needed to be 16x26. But it may be something worth considering. Not sure where your views are but this would seclude the master suite a bit more so that guests don't see your bedroom first thing when walking into the foyer.

ETA: I'm obviously missing doors and have some shown where they're not needed. The idea is to create almost a hall off the foyer which leads you into the main master bedroom space.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I had an idea, but it didn't work within the space you have.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Have you considered moving the master bedroom to the bedroom/office and then rearranging the bathroom to work with it? The master would become the office/bedroom.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the ideas guys. As stated before cpartist, we are open to making the bedroom/office the master.

We are also open to a different size of the addition and different placement of stairs.

Siding is all getting replaced and we would like the addition to be flush against the front of the house.

Our septic tank is back there so we can not make the addition longer than 26' and still 16' wide. We can have a smaller "bump out" back there, but no larger than probably about 10' wide. I've attached a picture to show what I mean, although location of septic is not exact, just a rough estimate.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Would something like this work?

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

After talking with husband and builder they would prefer not to do a bump out if we can avoid it. So new idea is to make the addition 18'x26'.

Here is a current plan which is really like! 12'x18' bedroom, no door looking at bed, sizable closet, roomy bathroom, etc. The only problem is I can't seem to find a spot to put the furnace. :/ Inside the closet is ideal, but it can not be placed in the tan area. This is making it difficult. Anyone have any suggestions? I've got the furnace off to the right side so you can copy and paste.

I would be open to pushing the closet 2 foot back into the current office/bedroom as long as the builder was willing. This appears to be the only good option that I can think of.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Here's another idea to play off of. It's not yet ideal but what I like about it is the bedroom is in the corner so you have windows on two walls. Plus now the bedroom is better insulated from the stairway and from the front rooms. The furnace can partly go under the staircase or if not can be it's own closet in the bathroom instead of the linen closet. There's plenty of room.

The hallway to the bedroom, can be lined with books or hidden storage, or you can make the bathroom tub smaller and then add the door to the bathroom from the master.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like that design. To be honest windows on two bedroom walls aren't that important to me. The left wall (south) is facing the highway. And we usually keep our curtains closed. The view to the (top) west is much more beautiful. And I envision bubble baths while watching the scenery. The only issue is having to go into the hallway to enter the closet or the bathroom. Not a huge deal to me, but husband doesn't like it. I think it's an option worth considering.

Another design, that works without having to frame into the current bedroom. This works by changing to a corner bath, and shortening the vanity.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I created the hall to act as a sound barrier to other rooms in the house.

• hendricksfamily92
    7 years ago

Can the furnace go into the basement instead?

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That is a good idea cpartist. Just not sure if the extra sound barrier is worth the smaller bedroom.

Hendricks no it can't unfortunately. That was the original plan, but our furnace croaked out and we had to replace with a down flow furnace to match up with the current ducts.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Husband likes the corner tubs. We are interested in this one, although I couldn't find much information about the quality of Laurel Mountain. Anyone have any experience with them?

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The HVAC guy came out yesterday to discuss and I think we have actually decided to just purchase a whole new upflow furnace so we CAN put it in the basement. It will be less labor for him, and more space for us. It hurts to replace a furnace that isn't even a year old yet, but he is going to buy it back for partial price, or we can try to sell it.

Would love some more floor plan ideas now that the furnace is out of the way.