SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cgoss52

SW Duration or BM Aura exterior paint for a deep red?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are getting ready to paint our exterior (that is if we have a good stretch of warmer weather in the next few weeks). Our house currently has a medium brown solid latex stain on beveled cedar siding. We would like to paint it a deep, earthy red with khaki colored trim.

I have talked to the folks at our local Sherwin Williams store and a local paint store that carries Benjamin Moore. We have narrowed it down to SW Duration paint in Matte (color: Crabby Apple) or BM Aura in low lustre (color: Cottage Red). (I have read in these threads that SW Duration Matte has a tiny bit of sheen.) I have been told many times that the issue with a deep red is color fading over time. We do get a lot of sun on the south side of our house (which is the front of our house).

The sales rep for BM believes that the Aura paint will not fade much due to the Color-Lock technology. I did not talk with the SW folks about the fading issue when I was in there so I am wondering if Duration has similar color-lock technology.

I prefer the SW Crabby Apple color over the BM Cottage Red because it is slightly lighter and is an exact to the color of a building nearby that I love (in all kinds of light). The Cottage Red has a slightly more brown tone and is slightly darker.

Seems like Aura is the more favored paint on these threads, but I really do prefer the SW color. If the Aura is that much better in terms of lower fading and paint quality I would be willing to go with them, and maybe even have them color match to the SW Crabby Apple, but I have read that color matching can be tricky and not always accurate.

Any thoughts and opinions?

This is what we are going for:

Comments (5)