SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevesdigits

Perplexing days-to-maturity Differences, Melons

digit (ID/WA, border) said: ... It isn't always easy to assign words like "early" and "mature" and "cured" to describe what is going on in the garden. I'm gonna start a new thread on my melons because it is so revealing on the effects of weather, days-to-maturity ... and all that sorta thing ...

Perhaps I should say that it is too easy to assign descriptive words about days-to-maturity in that post on the squash thread!

I thought in about late July that my Diplomat Galia melons had "caught up with the cantaloupe" after our whiplash June weather. The Yellow Doll Watermelon weren't gonna catch up. Those poor things struggled through June, then died. Too much record heat, near freezing, then another heat wave, all in one month!

The Goddess Cantaloupe seemed to come through okay. They developed nice melons that ripened and we began to enjoy cantaloupe about 5 weeks ago.

Diplomats are a variety of Galia melon I've only grown in '15 & '16. I've got a whooole bunch of them right now! Here they are last year:

Passport Galia, I grew for about 10+ years. It never missed! Diplomat didn't miss; the plants and fruits are just fine. Now!

I should have anticipated that they would be nearly 5 weeks late, in 2016. Five weeks! Well, maybe not ...Wow! I have long known that the June climate around here can be hard on things but here's more evidence.

All the melon plants were the same age and set out at the same time. Harris Seed says Goddess is a 68 day melon. Johnny's Seed says Diplomat is a 71 day melon. (It doesn't matter what anybody said about Yellow Doll Watermelons ...)

Last year, some of the Galia melons ripened a few days before the cantaloupe. Can you believe it? With the problems that they had with the June weather, that 3 day difference in days-to-maturity turned into 30+, in 2016.

Don't you suppose that this happens with lots of things? Without record keeping and head-to-head comparison - we miss the reality of weather effects. I'm so glad I have lots of both kinds of melons this year but there was a lesson for me to learn!

Steve

who had better go back to growing Passport Galia in 2017, just to try to hedge his bets

Comments (2)