SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonny46

It finally happened to me . . .

bonny46
7 years ago

and it is hard not to feel sad at the loss of a beautiful rose. About three weeks ago I found this on Lavender Lassie:

And also this:

I didn't need to ask in this forum to find out what I was looking at. After years of worrying that I would find RRD in my garden, I finally did.

I researched to find out what to do. Since the abnormal growth was just on one cane, I decided to cut that cane to the ground and hope for the best. Some people have had success with that approach, and I decided to try to save my beautiful, four-year-old rose.

I carefully examined some suspicious new growth, but school started (I teach) and life got really busy. I wasn't entirely convinced the new growth was RRD, but I wasn't sure. Then I looked again on Friday (after a week of being too busy to look), and my heart sank. All new growth was monstrous. With the unseasonably warm weather, the bush was growing like crazy, and it was all wrong.

So I chopped her down entirely, bagging the bush in two huge garbage bags, and my husband is going to dig out the roots tomorrow.

All the new growth looked like this. I'm trying to put it in perspective. It's just a rose bush, and it's not a tragedy, but I am scared the RRD will spread in my garden to my other roses. Some questions:

*Does my husband have to take out soil as well as the roots?

*Did I really have to bag it and take it to the curb, or could I have tossed the bush into the woods like my husband suggested I do?

*Should I wait a year or two or three to plant another rose there, or should I never plant another rose there?

*Is there anything I can do to prevent the spread of this disease in my garden? Cause if all my other roses get RRD, I am done with roses. I can't deal with it.

So, let's end with an ode to my Lassie:

Her blooms were big, full, and clustered, and her scent wafted on the breeze. She loved to have two big flushes, spring (the best) and fall, but would always have some blooms scattered intermittently throughout the season. The beetles loved her, but black spot didn't. She would ball horribly enough in a spring rain to ruin the flush and make me want to shovel prune her, but when she was good, she was glorious. We used her as a back drop for family photos. After starting as a small band four years ago, she grew vigorously, climbing higher and higher. And this year was her best. She never looked better than she did this spring as she was growing up and over my deck. Now she is gone, but I do have wonderful pictures:

My niece and my mom

One of my favorite pictures of my mom in front of Lavender Lassie.

Comments (11)