SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcorn

It's finally happening! Layout review, please...

kcorn
10 years ago

Everyone,

I have posted on this forum requesting some layout feedback in the past year; unfortunately, we were not able to move forward with our project because of some other priorities including a master bath renovation. Due to the delays, we have had a significant amount of time to think about what we wanted / needed in a kitchen remodel. We had previously considered and had drawings / layout options which included taking down a wall between the kitchen and dining room. After many conversations with our contractor, considerations of our budget and determining our true needs within the house, we are leaving the wall in place and have a modest amount of space to work with.

I am posting a proposal of our layout of the approximate 21'8" x 11'2" space. It is a long, narrow space and we currently struggle with the u shape / peninsula layout. The main reason why I do not want to continue with the u shape layout is that I end up with people in my work space while I am cooking (especially when we entertain). With an L-shape + island as proposed here, I envision that the majority of traffic through the kitchen between the Living Room/Dining room (to the left) and Family room (to the right) will pass behind the island and stay out of the main triangle. We do NOT need seating at the island (which we don't really have space for anyway) as we plan to keep a smaller table with four chairs in the existing eat in space. I realize that 37" and 38" aisles are not ideal; however, after reading so many postings on this forum, looking at pictures of kitchens with aisles of similar widths and actually walking around kitchen displays with these types of aisles, my husband and I are both comfortable with the amount of room we have around the island.

All of this said, I am very interested in the optimal arrangement of cabinetry and appliances to make this space function the most efficiently.

A few notes that may or may not come through on the layout:
- We prefer to have a 30" gas range with a separate under counter micro/oven combo (or possibly a 30" double oven range w separate microwave).
- I am looking at a single bowl composite sink and may not need a full 33" sink base (considering the 25" sink).

I am sure I am missing some information that may be relevant, so please let me know if you have any questions. I have submitted this plan to my contractor and I am also awaiting bids on the cabinetry from a local custom cabinetry shop, home depot (kraftmaid), and a local lumberyard that sells Medallion. They are all aware that this layout may change, but we are finally ready to start this process and we wanted to get the ball rolling so we can take advantage of discounts offered in January.

I greatly appreciate any feedback you are willing to offer! Thank you!

Comments (32)