SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mousie0209

update on my seedlings that I pinched and chopped the tap roots

Just for fun I thought I would share some of my experiments with some of my seedlings. They were sowed on July 15, 16, and 21.

After reading about pinching the top to get more branches and cutting the tap roots to get a bigger caudex. I thought why not? So when they were around 5 weeks old with 5 or 6 leaves. I transplanted them in their own pots and I started pinching and cutting the tap roots off of some not all.

The one that didn't get anything done to it are growing bigger and faster than the ones that was experimented on. But after a couple of weeks or so. They are growing new branches. Some didn't branch out, some has 2 and some has 4 branches.

Here are some of the pictures:

Comparing 2: The one on the left has nothing done to it and the one to the right I did pinch but didn't branch out yet and I did chopped the tap root.

This one I just pinched the top off: 2 branches. I called this one rabbit ears

These had were pinched and tap root chopped: 4 branches

I think I saw someone glue 2 together so of course I had to do that too but I slice both sides of the seedlings and glue them together. No pinching or chopping tap root but one of them are branching on the lower leaves.

Ann

Comments (7)