SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunkfree_4a_canada

Chop chop chop - repotting jade. Would very much appreciate advice

Jades were the only succulent I grew until recently, I was ignorant of proper jade care and treated them pretty much like my regular houseplants (reg. potting soil, lots of fertilizer, not enough light etc.). Therefore I had consistently etiolated jades - I just thought they grew that way! They never seemed "unhappy". The only thing I did right, I think, was let them callous before planting and water infrequently.

This one was in a bright east window, up high in a deep basket, and grew long trailing branches while I neglected him. Took it out a couple weeks ago, and yiiiikes

Last night I got it out of that 4" pot. Totally root bound, I had to pry the two trunks apart, and I'm afraid I did a lot of root damage cleaning them up. :(

I'm going to pot these up separately, is 5" pot too large for the one with more roots, or should I stick to 4" for both until they recover? Are the roots clean enough? I lost quite a lot of fine roots to really hard clumps of soil coming off.

I chopped it all up, keeping only small branches with 'bark' for propagation, and a few segments that had nice roots. I threw probably 60% of it in the garbage. Usually I try to start it all, but I'm overrun with sad etioliated jade. I want to make some really nice plants for friends and family. These cuts look OK?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice. :) I neglected to bookmark some good jade threads I have read recently, so hit me with links if you'd prefer.

Kd

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996