SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexmacgregorgee

Large Ficus Trunk Chop - Advice Wanted

Hi everybody. I bought an $8 ficus from a lady down the street with the sole intention of chopping it down. This will be the fifth such ficus I have purchased for cheap, but I haven't chopped any of the others. This one is much larger and quite healthy. It's about 7-7.5' tall and the trunk is nice and thick.

Ideally I'd like to have a nice fat trunk with a lot of taper. I've lurked around here for awhile now, but am still very unsure of myself compared to most boarders. My thinking was to chop right above the lowest branch, and then attempt to straighten that out to be the leader. I'm thinking this would still make the tree taller than I'd like it to be in the end, but will increase the taper?

The weather's nice out lately and I have a spot in the yard receiving full sun just for this. Please let me know any observations you might have on the tree, or suggestions for making sure this goes successfully.

Should I do anything with the roots for now? Up-pot, chop, wait? Trim, chop, wait? Help! Thanks!

Comments (15)

Sponsored