SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leah_miller33

Bedroom redo! Turquoise walls, dogs, and new furniture?

Leah Miller
7 years ago

I am wanting to redo my turquoise/aqua bedroom with new furniture and possible layout. I will not be repainting the walls. I love the wall color, but hate my old furniture. I also have a large dog crate that I am wanting to cover with a long desk/workstation. I have black/copper accents, with some pops of yellow already.
My room just does not function for me right now. The storage is not what I need and I am planning on getting rid of a lot of stuff. I was thinking a horizontal dresser with a wall mounted mirror. I've never been a fan of the attached mirrors.
I am a teacher and would benefit from a workstation to grade papers and plan. As you can see, a little student desk just gets buried and is unusable/claustrophobia inducing anyway.
Need: Furniture color/wood, desk/shelving/storage suggestions, layout ideas
Likes: books, my dogs, and horses. The large cabinet actually holds my saddle and the wood is unfinished, so I'm looking for a stain or oil. I've put it off since I didn't know what direction I'm going. I have another dog that prefers her circle bed on the floor. I was thinking about doing some sort of something wooden and circular (like whiskey barrel) to hold her circular bed and contain her blanket.
I've grown up and my room needs to as well. Thank you for any help!!! As a young teacher, I can't afford a lot, but I'm willing to invest in pieces that I can take with me. Thanks again!
http://s347.photobucket.com/user/leah_miller4/slideshow/

Comments (30)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

I love your wall color! Do you have a budget? Do you lean clean modern lines or more cozy traditional? Do you want patterns on bedding or something like all white? Is there anywhere else to stash your saddle? I picture a black desk (clean, modern) with a ghost chair (I am a teacher, too-much older-ha-and know you need space for papers), white bedding with pillows to pick up the accent and wall colors. So many choices!

See if you can find an inspiration picture or two, so people can really give you the best advice!

Leah Miller thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Related Discussions

Help with Master Bedroom redo

Q

Comments (1)
    I would be tempted to paint the closet doors and built-ins the same color as the wall so that they blend in and provide less contrast in your small room. If you did that, it wouldn't be necessary to change the casings. Let the bed be the star. You can add pillows and throws with color and texture to add interest and draw your eye to the bed and away from the size of the room. Don't forget to paint the inside edge of the door to your bathroom to finish off that entrance.
    ...See More

Finally completed son's bedroom re-do

Q

Comments (23)
    Hi Elle and thank you for the compliments, especially on the bookshelves. I love doing bookshelves, and constantly tweak the ones in my house! DS played a lot of sports all thru high school and some in college, so I had to box up and store SO much from the walls and shelves. The end product was a labor of love, deciding what stayed in the room and what would be stored. The bed is an antique (it belonged to DH's great aunt) and is a little higher off the ground than the modern type with the iron frame. But the skirt also looks long because he has thick, tall mattresses. Sometimes I will staple a bedskirt on the inside of the side boards of a bed and you only see what hangs down from the box springs, but I wanted the skirt to start at the top of the box springs and cover the wooden side rails....I also tucked in the comforter because I could only find it in a Queen and it was too long to leave hanging over the side of the bed. But I wanted the tucked in look, so I didn't mind the size so much.
    ...See More

Teen girl bedroom redo..HELP!!

Q

Comments (25)
    You can get a headboard the same color as the dresser, and match the night stands with it. And based on the photo below, you can use the grays tones instead of the green. dark gray sheets and lighter gray on the walls, with some decoration in wood style. And do the decorations on the blue that she wants, with pillow, a rug, curtains...
    ...See More

Update on Redo of Furniture Graveyard Bedroom

Q

Comments (12)
    Handy Guy is one of my favorite humans. He was unavailable for a little over a year in 2015 when he became an estate manager for some very fancy people with multiple homes in far flung regions. Gave it up after trying to keep up with home life and his poor dogs, as his required traveling time had more than doubled over the year. So excited to have him available again, literally could not have made this move without him. During the lockdown he was here daily for move in issues, wallpaper, pantry reconfiguration, new sinks everywhere, etc. etc. etc. When DH was hospitalized and I did not leave the hospital for months at a time Handy Guy was at our house once a week checking on all systems and keeping things up. DS2 was there but in school and just taking care of the dogs. We never needed our village more. Babyproofing now! Great idea Renovator Girl! I’ve been thinking solely of cribs and rockers for their room here and baby clothes. (WHY are baby sweaters so cute? Anybody?) We are still renovating downstairs bathroom and some choices … with baby in mind. I hear you about Forest Lawn, Mtn. From the looks of the size of your former house on another thread you have more extra furniture than anybody. Just keep in mind that you may have to pay your kids to take it, lol, or just show up with a moving truckful as they are settling into a new place and need it :-) The desk and blackboard are essentially the same width. I will be hanging the blackboard just a few inches above the hutch part so it will look like a single column of color on that wall. My goal with this room is to make DS and GF want to come and visit “their” bedroom, Nuts. I hope it works! Outside, has your desk been delivered? If so, is it as pictured? I appreciate the “tastefully masculine“ Jojoco. Some might disagree about the yellow and cream, but then again the GF needs to be taken into account and DS also still had his childhood teddy bear on the old bed after the move. Bunny, Let’s just saya future graveyard bedroom has not been ruled out. 😎
    ...See More
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

1) Is there a piece of furniture in your room you like the best(except for the unfinished cabinet that stays anyway)? If yes-what is it?

2) Is your bed a full sized one? Do you read in bed, would you prefer upholstered headboard for example-or is it not important?

3) Is second hand an option for you, or do you prefer new furniture?

4) Is custom made an option(if it fits within your budget-and it might fit well), or you'd prefer something more movable? What are the chances of you staying in your current place for a long time?

Leah Miller thanked aprilneverends
  • Leah Miller
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you both for the comments! I'll try to answer the listed questions first.

1) My headboard, small curio cabinet, and unfinished cabinet will stay. Everything else can go!

2.) My bed is a full, but I'm not looking to change anything with the bed or get new bedding. Having two dogs of opposite fur coats, does not lend itself well to new bedding! ;)

3) I'd be ok with secondhand if it fit my needs. It doesn't have to be brand new. I have a black 3/adjustable shelf bookcase under the jerseys that I could paint. I saw something about bedside tables where they used a bookcase....so that's an option.

4) I definitely will be staying at my current place until the school year ends in May. After that- I could be moving. It just depends....

5) Custom could be an option- I had a local carpenter make my saddle cabinet as long as it's not crazy expensive. Basically depends what the custom work is for?

6) Yes, the cabinet has to stay in my room. I still live with my parents and there is no other place for it. I can't even keep it at the boarding stables, because it's never locked and incredibly dirty.

7) Budget- I can't spend more than $800 on a dresser. I've seen some on IKEA's website for about $250. I'm looking for some color inspiration. I've always liked the look of white furniture, but with my cabinet and curio---I wasn't sure if white would be a good option.

8.) I saw a dresser with mixed wood through Target that I really like, but I've seen reviews that said it looked a lot darker. I'll post a link of the look http://www.target.com/p/mudhut-asmara-horizontal-dresser/-/A-15155484

9) As for my personal style, I like the farmhouse/rustic look, but at the same time--I love the beach/beachhouse styles. Exhibit A : my walls! I also have been thinking about making a shell mirror, but I'm not sure how it could all look together-- here's my thought. But again, it may be too much. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qVUoD9EHNdY/TUw_rq7BomI/AAAAAAAAWzw/Iu4YDA6b2Ns/custom-shell-mirror.jpg

10) There is an IKEA about 3 hours away. If I found enough to make a trip, I'd totally go. My mom has never went and wants to experience it too!

11) I'll see if I can find some inspiration pictures to post.

12) THANK YOU!

• Leah Miller
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm still figuring out how to add pictures and such...so hang with me! What if I made like a double of these desks. (One part for the dog crate to fit under and an extension for my legs? I'm thinking some sort of floating shelf set up, but I also would like some sort of bookshelf/basket storage mini storage.

I don't really like seeing the metal in the back, but floating shelves would be functional.

Ideas for my floor dwelling pup....

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

No, I didn't suggest you have to do anything with the bed..I was actually thinking whether it's possible to put it along the wall, rather than center it (or approximately center it as in now). It's a (relatively) small room that needs to be extremely functional. The space is at premium, putting the bed along the wall would give more space. But it's full-sized plus you like the headboard..harder to pull it off then. Possible, but harder.

I was asking about custom, since a custom desk and storage system could be ideally fitted to your needs..with a possible space for a dog underneath, maybe two spaces for both dogs-on the opposite sides.

If there is a chance for you to be moving soon-there is less incentive to do that, because the chances of something custom working exactly the same in a new place are..let's say not 100% (as I've recently learned myself))

I still think you need a very, very good writing desk. As large as possible. To me-meaning it should be more than these standard 48 inches. I found several that are 50-60 and in style you'll probably like. But I'll wait for your inspiration pictures first, because I'm already allover the place))

No, we don't want you to spend 800 on a dresser. No, no, no. I payed 250 for mine..ok it was 6 years ago, and of course I found it on Craigslist. I think now it'd be much more, but mine is mid century modern and I bought it before the mcm craze really took off..now would be more. But more traditional styles-you can find something very pretty and totally refurbished for 400 or so. Or: to go with the Target one(or similar) if you decide you like it the most.

As for the colors..again, I'll wait for your inspiration pictures. Because your blue would be great with virtually anything. Unless it's a very brightly lacquered piece in something extremely specific like Barney Purple..and probably even then:)

• Leah Miller
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was actually wondering about putting my bed along a wall, but wasn't sure with the headboard (my furry kids would prefer it, so they don't fall out of bed---my great pyr thinks she owns the whole bed and is a wild sleeper at times!) I tried copy and pasting my pictures, but they didn't agree when I tried to post them a little bit ago.

I agree with the custom. I was kind of wondering if I kept it simple with dimensions for a desk/crate cover combo it would work better in a new place. Is it a thing for people to put some sort of hinges on desks? I was kind of wondering if I could put hinges on the ends (so the desk could collapse) and be easier to move? Am I crazy? I figured if I have enough space for my legs/ the top that covers my dog crate could be utilized well. It's just wasted space right now-not to mention an eye sore.

I'm not a fan of the traditional dressers. I live in the "wood capital of the world" and they are all about making the hotel like dressers. I really like the kind of mixed/non-matchy look. I think that's why I like that target dresser.

Give me a bit and I'll see if I can post some pictures. I was leaning toward a copper route/stain. I've had the black in my room for a while and I've never been too crazy for it. Almost seems too harsh. My dad works at a office furniture company and I may be acquiring a nicer chair for a deal. I

• lizbeth-gardener
    7 years ago

I think Lily's mom has some good suggestions. If you really need a desk now, you might consider using a flush door that sits on a small 2 drawer file cabinet at each end or if the dog crate is the right height, it could support one end and you could put legs on the other. You could put a bulletin board and/or shelves on the wall above, even do a wall mount tv. I'm assuming you are not keeping the current furniture when I suggest this and am thinking of storage/work space that a teacher might need.

Leah Miller thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • Leah Miller
    Original Author
    7 years ago

http://s347.photobucket.com/user/leah_miller4/slideshow/ I tried uploading some ideas there. The furniture listed has to go. I can do without the tall, skinny cabinet if I have a 6 drawer dresser. I'll spend $300 on a dresser that I'm happy with, especially since I can sell my set. I do plan on putting away/packing up a lot and I like the door idea. I'm not sure with the file cabinets how much space would remain on that wall. It would be awesome to mount the tv... the model is older so I'm not sure if I can actually mount it though.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Traditional dresser-no, I didn't mean hotel style, at all. Actually both beach house and farmhouse styles are traditional. Almost everything is traditional, unless it's modern:)

I like to mix and match too.

• lizbeth-gardener
    7 years ago

If your tv is a flat screen, I think it can be wall mounted. They make universal mounts-google or go to Best B*y, HD or someplace like that.

Leah Miller thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

OK..thanks for posting the pictures..now I see you prefer rustic/industrial/farmhouse, after all..and you like complementary clean colors. So we know a lot!

I like the idea of putting two desks together side by side, or putting a piece of long wood on two file cabinets..I think Maxwell Ryan of Apartment Therapy built something similar, and has a tutorial somewhere..it IS custom if you think about it:) just simple custom.

Also, I found something like this..unfortunately the hutch is sold separately. But I like the fact that the desk is 55 inches long. And I like that it has plenty of space to put the legs under, and a drawer too. That's personal preference of course; but your pics tell me you also prefer not to have lots of drawers on the sides..unless it's a very long desk with plenty of space.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Allegro-Parson-Desk-1-Drawer/10372857/product.html?refccid=4SG6C6WKB6SZILSLLA5YLVB7NM&searchidx=538

In any case, we're looking at something simple and large. Probably with shelving over it.

With the idea of a long piece of wood on file cabinets, or legs, or these trestle legs though-you'll have more flexibility, to incorporate sleeping spaces for your doggies.

Then-lets say you sold/donated all the furniture you were meaning to sell/donate, you can see whether the unfinished cabinet can go next to the desk, so you can leave your TV there for now, and have it across the bed.

The dresser can go next to your bed, instead of a nightstand..you'll have a space to put a mirror, between the bed and the window. Not ideal, because I'm not sure how the light from the window will fall...

Or. The dresser goes on the long wall across your bed. Sorry..the mirror gives space to wall mounted TV. The desk goes all the way from your bed to the corner of the room. Your bed moves along the wall. Also not ideal:) As you will be sitting with your back to the door. Not everybody likes it. I, for example, don't. I have this placement right now, it looks really nice, but I almost don't use the desk:) But the room will seem much larger..

I'll continue to think, OK?

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

PS the TV can just go on the future dresser by the way, no need to wall mount it in that case

The mirror is vertical, quite large, and goes next to the dresser and across the bed.

If you have art you love above your bed..or, say, a pretty pendant..you'll see them twice:) if you'll have a mirror across of it

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

..as for the hinges. They do it, but mostly with dining tables. Like this one:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30286845/

nobody said a dining table can't be used as a desk..they are usually wider though..need more space

• Leah Miller
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I like that desk! I'm just wondering if I have enough space for my legs, if the crate is under it too. I uploaded some measurements and the room layout to the photobucket link. It's rough...I'm not an expert at this as you can see! The room from edge of door frame (not including the door) to wall is about 11.5 feet. From wall to wall it's also 11.5 ft.

Other important measurements:

Dog Crate is 36 inches long and 27 inches tall. It also is a "space saving" door....meaning it pulls up. Part of the crate will have to be pulled out slightly so I can open and shut it. I know- it's weird.

My saddle cabinet is 25 square inches w/l.

The small curio is also 36 inches long, but more narrow.

There are some local craftsmen that make farmhouse tables from 100+ year old farmhouses. They can custom make them but would be about $500. I'm not sure portability and expense wise if that would be my best option.

I don't mind if my back is to the door, if I can watch TV out of the corner of my eye! (Netflix and Grading!!)

As for the dresser- I like the look of this one- but it seems like some people have had issues putting it together. I have a lot of wood in my room, so bringing all the stains/look together is a challenge. I'll try to post a picture of the curio cabinet but it has a lighter/almost cherry stain to it. http://www.target.com/p/mudhut-asmara-horizontal-dresser/-/A-15155484

The saddle cabinet needs a stain- so def need suggestions on that when I have my dresser/ desk picked out.

I'm thinking I will take my small Walmart bookcase to school and maybe get the IKEA Vertical bookcase. I have a hard time getting to the bookcase anyway. I would then just prioritize my horse and Harry Potter books! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60282186/

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Nice to know the measurements..I was sure for example that the saddle cabinet is wider than curio, and it's all the other way around.

As for the stain for the cabinet..are you sure you prefer a stain? Because there is also a paint option. Not everybody likes painted wood. But you can take a fun approach and have one or two furniture pieces painted in a totally different color than everything else, and it will work in this room, or any other room for that matter. Say, navy blue or a shade of red you like. It's additional work of course, but this way you deliberately save yourself from matching effort, but still making everything work together.

Of course can be applied not to the cabinet but to some other piece.

My husband is adamantly against painting wood, or else I'd have a very interesting secretaire right now:)

I think this IKEA shelf is way to narrow for books though..as far as I remember it from the store..might be mistaken. Need to check the measurements

Several companies carry something like these:

http://www.vivaterra.com/teak-column-shelves-5.html

• Leah Miller
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think I have to agree with your husband on this one ;) The wood is really beautiful and I was considering just doing an oil that shows off the natural color and grain, but I think staining would be better. It's a handmade, solid as they come cabinet.

Those shelves look great, but I wonder if I can find a cheaper option. I'm thinking that I would put them on the wall that is next to my closet. It's an odd space and could fit a row of books easily.

I also found this dresser on craigslist- it's gray, but what do you think about painting it? http://evansville.craigslist.org/fuo/5759951292.html

I also found an ad for a Pottery Barn white dresser. I'm seeing if they will sell it without the headboard. It is white, but could maybe work? That may also be paintable. http://evansville.craigslist.org/fuo/5742996563.html

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Shelves are good to seek out on Craigslist, yes. For sure. IKEA, in general, also is great to look for on Craigslist btw-especially knowing that somebody already put it all together:)

Both dressers are nice, and you can paint any of them-or leave them as they are.Especially the gray one-gray seems more of a "random" color than white..white seems more considered in the whole scheme of things..I find hard to explain what I mean lol, but white is more of a very, very popular color for furniture..it works less as one off, outstanding, piece, but more as a preferred allover color..just my opinion of course.

But you might a) repaint it b) decide you like it white..and PB's quality is usually not bad at all. Unlike some other manufacturers..

I wonder whether they'll agree to separate the set..

• Leah Miller
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll keep you posted on what I find out. I sometimes don't have good luck with people responding to craigslist ads....not sure if they go into my spam or what. What about shelves like these? All you see are the books and they aren't that expensive. https://www.amazon.com/Umbra-Conceal-Floating-Bookshelf-Silver/dp/B000UO4KXY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1473609895&sr=8-5&keywords=wall+mounted+bookshelf

I agree PB usually has better quality stuff- I have a couple small pieces - a makeup organizer and jewelry box from them that I really like. Would it be crazy to think to paint it yellow? I don't think 1 large white piece would work for my space. Fingers crossed they would separate it.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Start with a SERIOUS de-cluttering. You've got so much stuff in there, I don't know how you clean! Then take pictures and come back to us. Right now it makes me dizzy just looking at all that mess. The mother in me is also saying that the room will look a LOT nicer if you make your bed each morning.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I heard plenty good things about Umbra..didn't try them myself

Don't see why yellow wouldn't work if you like it. Will be amazing with your blue walls too

As for the Craigslist..I had a problem for several months with the whole website..favorites didn't add, mail never came..then one sunny day it works again. Never learned what their problem was...

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Agree with those who say the number one issue is to get rid of stuff, a lot of it. The second issue is to spend as little as possible since your horizon is so short. Do you parents have something you can borrow as a desk?

Also, why do you need that big TV? We are a family of 5 with one TV, rarely used. People watch on their laptops pretty much now.

• Leah Miller
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Decluttering has been established and in the works. So if we can move on from that...that would be awesome. I will be sure to post new pictures when it's complete.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the ads. I have been doing some research on how to paint IKEA furniture. Apparently there are some difficulties in getting the paint to cure correctly, but at $250 for a solid dresser, it may be worth it to try painting a popping, yellow dresser. I need to start making my IKEA list then.... Inspiration https://www.pinterest.com/pin/430727151839207327/

My dad's furniture company only makes large, bulky, super heavy desks. I just don't want to deal with that.

The TV was passed down to me (pretty much brand new) after my grandparents died. Netflix and grading....can't do without it.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

(I don't watch anything on my laptop-hurts my eyes. Unless it's a pretty short YouTube video

Well I don't have a smartphone too lol-and will try not to get it as long as my dinosaur one still works

really dizzying. when kids show me something on theirs I'm like "oh great! and now, can you put this screen away from me please?"

It's all jumping, popping, changing, flickering..can't handle that..

sorry for the off topic..

I don't know why I suddenly felt the need to share this not so relevant information..))

Leah you're a good sport. Will be looking forward to see these pics!

• Leah Miller
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I guess I'm asking for it when I put an awful, room I've been living in for twenty years, "before" picture up....but hey--at least the "after" will be an amazing reveal!!! lol

Sounds like my mom- she is in her 32 year of teaching and she's never one to look at a lot of things on her phone---unless it's an arms-length away ;)

I heard back from the PB dresser ad. They said they would separate them and lowest they would go would be $250. If the dresser looks like it's in decent shape, I'm taking it! He/she said the dresser was at their sister's house and would send pictures in a couple of days. I'm just hoping it's not too good to be true. I started researching how to buy stuff on Craigslist safely. We shall see if we get any legit pictures back.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I lived with my folks for a year before I got my current apt. during a relocation for a job, so I know how that goes. Here's what I suggest. Find out if you can get a storage box at the local U-Haul place or rent a storage locker. Pick a clean, well lit, well attended place that you won't mind visiting from time to time to get stuff you need. That will help with the decluttering. Do everything you can to put your stuff in closed storage, that helps make the room look restful. I store a lot of my teaching supplies in clear plastic boxes in shelves, organized by project.

Is there an unpainted furniture outlet near you? That's another source for basic storage and office furniture. Check out IKEA's Web site for inspiration, but also definitely peruse the "Apartment Therapy" Web site too. Once you get it de-cluttered in there and narrowed down furniture wise, you can work on editing and displaying your art. First things first. Get a friend to come and help you edit your clothes and other stuff. I have a friend with great taste, she helps me edit out what is no longer working for me, clothing-wise.

• Leah Miller
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good news! Pictures are here for the dresser. Close up I can see the scratches and dents in the side and drawers. The top has some discoloration from felt. They sent me the pictures of them. If it doesn't rain tomorrow , I'll be picking it up. I think for 250 it's a steal. Thoughts on repainting it?

• Leah Miller
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is what happens when you are trying to figure out what desk height to go with. I wanted to simulate some different heights to see what works best. I found a couple of long dining tables on Ikeas website that I think will work well. They will be long enough for the crate and plenty of space for me to work comfortably. I used an app to layout my room but I need to double check some measurements.

• Leah Miller
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Bedroom layout possibilities? I do have a vent on the shorter wall that is a bit difficult to work around.