SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Help with Master Bedroom redo

neetsiepie
13 years ago

I am going to spiff the MB next weekend with new paint and I'm going to put trim on the ceiling around the paint treatment I did.

I want to go with a nice turquoise color, not too bright, something a bit more dusty or grayish, so DEFINITELY looking for suggestions. The ceiling feature is antique gold...the photos are not good quality, it doesn't look so streaky in person.

The next big thing is what to do with the stupid closet builtins. I am considering stripping to wood, then staining, but I'm pretty sure it's just plywood and would look weird. Not to mention the work! I don't know what to do about color for them...paint in an accent color (like I did before) or go with the turquise also? Should I change out the trim? I'm thinking of doing a fluted casing on the doors...there is a vintage pediment over the door to the Mbath that I would like to keep and add trim to incorporate it. I have another one of the pediments, but due to the location of the bedroom door, I would have to cut the side down, or just go with a plain fluted casing. Should the closet be the same type of molding?

Then, what, if anything, should I do with the window frame? I like keeping just the blinds (woven, natural almost burlapy fabric) with no WT...our room is miniscule and we have a king size bed, so I need to keep as much openness as possible. If I change the window molding, should I paint it the same as the doors? Or just leave it all white (I'm not going with wood, but composite). The molding I'm going to put on the ceiling will stay white...I like the white stripe as a contrast and don't want to paint it the turquoise.

My MBath is cream with black accents and a green slate floor/shower (faux for now, but will eventually be the real thing). I'm not overly concerned with matching the bath in a color scheme.

My bedding is neutral and can change with no problem. I've got a pretty green duvet cover right now, but will likely use my off-white chenille bedspread. I have some bosporous fabric I'm going to use as a throw, it's got a brown backround with slight blue, green, red and orange colors in it...basically will be a great accent.

So, color suggestions and what to do with the closet doors/builtins and the moldings??

From 2010-06-26

You can just barely see the white on the ceiling, this is where I'll put the ceiling molding. The new paint color will also extend up to the white line, just like the green currently does. The vintage pediment is over the bathroom door.

From 2010-06-26

Big raspberry wall! In reality, this looked really good when I first painted it. Our bedding at the time had the green, gold, raspberry colors and this went beautifully. I added the orange paper, thinking I was going to do an ornamental finish on it (couldn't add molding) but never got around to it. Now it just needs to GO! So I'm completely open to suggestions.

Comment (1)