SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_58962921

Update on Redo of Furniture Graveyard Bedroom

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Recap: Nice sized bedroom in our new house, used by DS2 when he visits, has exemplary walk in closet and bath on same separate hallway. Not en-suite but next best thing. Good windows looking out over patio with stone wall and views beyond to golf course. Room was a repository of furniture that didn't go anywhere else, but that I was reluctant to give up. Have tried by degrees to include this piece or that in a design and finally have scrapped it all (except for a couple of vintage golf prints, a blackboard and three framed covers of German biology and zoology books) and started from scratch. Well, almost, we repurposed a few things.

This son is a hard core gamer so a wall screen is a must. He has books he wants to keep that cannot be accommodated at his friend‘s townhouse in Atlanta where he rents. Also to be accommodated is a serious girlfriend who visits us with him. Also on the horizon is our first grandchild, a baby boy who will be born in November. It will be awhile before this child needs a room of his own but I am already planning toy storage in this bedroom. (Not DS2’s child but belonging to DD and SIL who have a room on same level as this one.)

In an unusual move I chose the curtains first 😎. Have always loved upholstered beds and ordered a queen size in cream and pale gold buffalo check. Liked the fabric so much ordered it and had existing club chair reupholstered in it also, at the same time eliminating the chair skirt and having noncommittal legs replaced with cool black turned ones to reference bed legs.

Update: Needed a small desk, trying desperately to use a really nice Southwood console that was my mother’s and our former entry table but it was just not right. Ordered a black painted 36” desk with small hutch, distressed edges showing red underneath. This was a look really popular about ten years ago; I liked it then but had no use for it until now, when it is no longer on trend (story of my life).

Had two end tables that in a former home office of mine were white and contained hanging files. Handy Guy painted them SW green black (also known as Charleston Green, one of my favorite colors) and replaced removable tops with glass. These are now nightstands. Found red outdoor metal lights at Home Depot! and with some Handy Guy modification hardwired them to either side of the bed above night tables. They are now turned on and off with old fashioned looking turn knobs.

Also still waiting on white step back bookcases and toy storage bench for wall opposite bed, which will all arrive last week of July :-(. Have definitely decided against wallpaper being considered for one wall in that room, colors off just a tad but enough AND the pattern was too much. In view of yellow, black and red color scheme emerging organically through this process I purchased a cream and black ticking stripe duvet and shams for the bed with DS2’s monogram in red on the shams. Also purchased is a distressed black painted “stacked ball” style floor lamp with a dark cream colored linen shade. For one more touch of red I have a half inch wide red grosgrain ribbon that may be applied to the shade to define The top and bottom edges.

Reupholstered chair (Robshaw pillow not staying) Pine corner cupboard in background also not staying.

New nightstands from former file holders! Top that lifts out now replaced with glass.

No idea why these lamps look so small in the picture, they are sizeable—shade is about 11” wide. Will put something on wall below light and over tables, thinking about using something from my collection of black and white silhouettes on both sides of bed.

Console table will go into storage, just doesn’t fit here. New parsons chair in a darker gold is on casters for ease of movement on carpeted floor. Blackboard is 36” across, first thing I bought from Ballard Designs in the late 1980s or very early 90’s, was a fixture in our kitchens. The upholstered bed is from Ballard.

Pattern matching excellent but warned I was that cotton can wrinkle as it stretches and relaxes on an upholstered bed unless tufted. Did not want to tuft having been traumatized by dust collecting in tufts of long ago chair.

Petite desk to go under blackboard, to arrive late June.

Vintage golf prints....was not going to keep these but they were my late brother’s and I do like them with the bed.

Floor lamp, bedding and wall sconce.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor