SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
generalfactotum

Do I have a predator?

generalfactotum
7 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but it's such an odd question this seems as good as any. Here goes. (Warning: nasty photo ahead!)

in June, I cleaned my fish pond and culled about 30 small natural colored goldfish. I put them in a large plastic tub until I figured out what to do with them. The next day I came out to find fish fragments scattered in the tub and on the ground. All the fish had been killed. The goldfish in my pond were unmolested, and still are doing fine.

There were no more incidents throughout June and July. Then about a month ago, I started finding dead animals in my yard on a regular basis. First it was a half grown rabbit in the fish pond. Then a young squirrel outside my back door. Then a chipmunk, again a young one, outside my back door. Now this morning, a small mole was floating in the pond. None of the latest animals, except the mole, showed any signs of blood or damage, although I can't say I looked that closely. The mole looks ... odd.

I don't own any animals other than my fish. I live in a small city in Wisconsin. What do you guys think is going on? Cat? Raccoon? Possum? As all the dead animals were garden pests (other than the fish) I'm actually kind of ok with what's going on, but I want to make sure my fish aren't in any danger. Do I have a mysterious phantom of the night?

Comments (14)