SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thewatcheruatu

Norfolk Pine: Signs that it's time to repot? General advice?

thewatcheruatu
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I picked up a Norfolk Pine from the nursery the other day. Actually, it's three trunks in a 6 inch pot. I would estimate the plant, itself, is about three feet tall from the soil line. Maybe?

I took the root ball out of the plastic pot in which I purchased it in order to place it into a clay pot, and I noticed that the root ball was super dense and really resistant to any kind of loosening of the potting medium. A few roots were kind of circling around (though it was far from the most root bound nursery plant I've ever seen), and there was a really thick, rock hard taproot (I guess) all the way down to the bottom of the pot.

Anyway, I've read these Norfolk Pines like to be somewhat rootbound, and that they should only be potted up every 3-4 years. I don't know how old this plant is or when it was last repotted or potted up. I don't plan on doing anything at all to stress it out this late in the season (it's very healthy looking as far as I can tell), so at this point, I'm just thinking ahead.

How will I know when to pot this plant up to an 8" container? Or if I simply repot next year, does anybody have any tips for dealing with the really firm root ball?

Second question is I'm just wondering if anybody has any empirical advice about growing Norfolk Pines? I've read up on it--some of the information out on the web contradicts other information.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio