SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djwtarheel

Need window replacement help in Atlanta!

djwtarheel
7 years ago

We recently moved into a home in the Atlanta suburbs (short-sale) and are now getting around to replacing some builder-grade wood windows original to the home (about 13 yrs old). Primarily, we are focusing on the windows on the front of the home - some of which are in pretty bad shape (8 DHs plus 4 top transoms, and 2 palladian windows). That side of the house faces west which gets hit by the hot afternoon Georgia sun with virtually no shade. We ultimately plan to replace the rest of the windows in the house (1 picture and 18 DHs) a bit down the road.

My reason for posting is I'm told different things by different contractors as to what window might be the best for my application (hot afternoon sun in the Southeast US). I have one company recommending Marvin Infinity with backup options of Cellular PVC or Vytex Fortis vinyl. The cost of the Marvins and the Cellular PVC are higher, but they say the Vytex Fortis will not hold up as well in this application. They stated the Marvins are much stronger and will hold up better than the other 2 options over time given the strength of the fiberglass even though they are not as energy efficient. They claim the Infinity window will hold its NFRC numbers better over time as well. This company does have numerous good reviews and appears to do a great job on installs but the price on the Infinity product is pretty high and I have concerns about the infiltration numbers for the premium price.

After I met with the Marvin Infinity dealer/installers, I decided to do some more research on my own. Based on that I decided to meet with the local OKNA/Soft-Lite dealer who also has excellent reviews. I got a quote on Soft-lite Elements and Bainbridge LEs from them, and the rep said the premium vinyl windows like the Elements will hold up really well in the sun and heat. I really liked the Elements window, but did not love the thickness of the frame/sash and am now considering getting quotes on Sunrise Restorations as well from yet another dealer (also reputable). (FYI: OKNA 800's are not available in my area per the OKNA dealer).

The Marvin Infinity windows are definitely the most expensive which is obviously a factor, but my primary question is how well can I expect one of the premium vinyl windows to hold up in the extreme sun and heat over time when compared to the other options like the Infinity? Should I be considering something else? Cost is a factor, but I'd rather pay more and get a durable and long-lasting product than something that will be an issue in 5-10 years. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is a bit confusing given that I'm told slightly different things between contractors. Thanks in advance!

Don

Comments (18)