SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgf123

Replacing a bay window and front door - need help!

Anne Gibson
3 years ago

I am replacing the bay window and front door and am having decision paralysis with regards to both!

The wall with the bay window (picture) is 28 feet long.

• Picture window is 5 ft. 9 inches wide by 3 ft. 4 inches tall (keeping this window)
  • Bay window is 6 ft 8 in wide by 4.8 ft. high. I will replace this with regular windows.

The front door wall is 21 feet wide.

• The window will be replaced with one that is 5 ft * 5 ft (double casement)
  • Front door will remain same size but I'm open to door and single, wider sidelite as well as traditional single door / double sidelites.

I will keep the new windows at the same height as the current ones as I have standard 8 ft. ceilings and a header to consider.

Questions:

• How much bigger could I go when I replace the bay window? There are 2 ft. 8 inches of wall on either side of the bay window on the inside (dining room, no furniture obstruction)
  • Would it look ok to bring the new window closer to the ground?
  • Given that I have one picture window and will have a square double casement to the left of the door, what 'rules' should I consider when choosing a replacement window for the bay window?

Other considerations:

• I love the look of triple casement windows
  • LOVE single grids with panes across the top of windows and would like to incorporate them into the replacement window. If I do this, I'll add them to the casement windows in the existing picture window.
  • Thoughts on awning windows? If so, top or bottom?

Front door: I thought I was set on a single door with 3/4 glass and two sidelites, but more recently have been considering a single door and larger, single sidelite. Front door could be wood or painted.

I'll be painting the house a dark color, considering 'secret' by Benjamin Moore. Possibly new gutters.

Thank you so much!

Comments (6)