Old Fashioned Caramel Icing: Am I Crazy?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (18)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
White (?) Or am I crazy? (Pics)
Comments (40)In the past we have used the living room mostly for formal entertaining with just adults. When we include the children at parties, we usually do something more casual in the family room, where we have totally kid-proof leather upholstery. Also, we have always had our den/office area set-up as a sitting room rather than an office, and I'm thinking of going for a darker, sort of english-men's-clubby look in there. For some reason, my big fear is dye transfer from blue-jeans, more so than the daily-wear-and-tear thing. I have to kind-of chuckle when I think of deciding which room to invite guests to sit in based on their attire.. I was thinking I could have a pretty throw on the white sofa for the occasional family member who might wander in to sit with a book or something. Also, the room is large enough that there will be other seating, in darker colors, so anyone with apprehension about sitting on the white will have options. Do I sound like I'm trying to talk myself into it? I suppose because it seems to me that white looks better than any of the other lighter-colored options, and also, I wonder if the concerns with stains/dirt/wear would be much less, say with pale blue or gold, than they would with white? I do not see a very dark color in that room, so the colored options are almost as light as the white. Funny, I heard a comment on "The stagers" on HGTV, where the designer was using a white sofa, and made an aside comment that they "never recommended them for their design clients"--only for staging, as they would look grungy in a few months. I thought when I posted this, that I might hear from people who had white, and then regretted it after living with it. However it's interesting that the people who responded who said they actually have a white sofa, all said they had no problems and loved it. Any more white-upholstery owners want to weigh-in? (So far only 5 white-sofa owners have responded.) It would be interesting to hear from more--I wonder if I'm needlessly concerned about the white, as those with experience living with it, (so far) unanamously seem to love it!...See MoreAm I crazy to want this as a BS?
Comments (38)The tile is really beautiful and I think the colors blend well with the granite. I don't view the granite as "busy". However, I wouldn't suggest picking out the backsplash already before you've even begun construction. I look at the backsplash as the icing that comes after you've made the cake. I wouldn't want to pick my KD, or lack thereof, based on a B.S. You either really want this K.D. or you don't, IMHO. Besides, if you ditch the designer, and the potential for the tile discount, you'll save oodles of money anyway on designer fees and you'll be able to afford the full price. Also, with some digging, you may be able to finagle a discount on your own. I didn't use a K.D., this forum and my clear understanding of what I was trying to accomplish was all I needed. I consulted a couple of K.D., but found they really weren't listening and I could tell I was better off without them. That said, I do like the B.S., but I'd like to see the back splash samples sitting in the real kitchen before deciding if that's THE ONE. What "look" are you going for overall in your kitchen and in your new home? Is that a french country look? I visited a home for sale in Maine many years ago while on vacation. When I walked into their kitchen, I was overcome with a feeling of "home". I had never experienced anything like this before. It was almost like having a spiritual experience, lol. I took note of the details, trying to memorize as much as I could, trying to understand the "feeling" that it evoked and the elements that contributed to this feeling. When I was designing our kitchen, I tried to recreate this feeling as best I could, and was successful mainly because I found this forum and was able to pour over many photos of kitchens that also evoked this feeling I was after. The tile makes your heart sing! That's so important!! But do you have the overall vision in mind yet? Good luck on your project! Building a home is very exciting indeed....See MoreAm i too old-fashioned?
Comments (50)Wow, for a daughter that wants to be with nature she sure is acting like her zen is being lazy on the couch. Sorry, I'm not sure how to put it more politely. It's lazy parenting to let the children rule the roost. Being a nature geek or free spirit, doesn't mean the kids get to run free to destroy grandma's house. Now that you've mentioned your medical predicaments, she should be even more mindful of your simple wishes. Sure there will be times the kids might run, or take food into the wrong room or even forget and jump on the sofa but she should be thoughtful of your desires as you are of hers. Your following her vegan rules as far as the kids go. Your doing what should be her share of the house work it seems. It's time for her to grow up and respect your space. It sounds like your willing to be a super grandma if she would only respect the house rules. Being safe from falling objects, respecting your property, I don't see how she can argue against this. Sounds like your in between a rock and a hard spot right now. I suppose it would be good if you could get her to return and implement your rules on your own. When they bring food into other rooms,quietly tell the child to return to the room where the food is eaten. When the run tell them the rule politely with the suggestion of a time and place they can run. After dinner in the back yard. I personally think they should follow your rules without a reward, although a reward for another reason might tempt them and be acceptable to you. They can be the one who picks out the movie or the one who picks out a game first or a walk to the park. Maybe make smores for a really good day of being good in the house. Your pick of rewards but they have to behave (most all of the time) to get it. Stick to your guns but do it yourself. Quietly, sweetly, & use lots of honey. Mom will have to see, that's the way it is. And the deployment excuse doesn't cut it for me. If anything they need more structure and order. (with out a doubt all of this has crossed your mind, so good luck these next few months)...See MoreAm I crazy to have a corner base cab without the susan?
Comments (82)I very much appreciate these suggestions. You all are really helping me fine-tune this design. Do my responses below seem like good reasons to stick with my plan above? I would consider moving the DW to the end of the peninsula This would work for an average household, but as a homeschooling mother of six, I make three home-cooked meals a day. The DW is run after every meal, and a lot of it consists of pots and pans that need to be soaked before going in. you could eliminate the door on the small corner cabinet I did play with this idea, but I am concerned about the trays and cutting boards inside getting splattered from food dribbling down from the prep area above or from loading the dishwasher next to it. It is much easier to wipe down a door than to wash all the contents inside. Whatever you choose, you must have a filler on the left side. This is why the 6" cab seems better to me. It will ensure that I have standard filler size and that the counter doesn't have to touch the slider trim. I know you are looking into the blind base for the sink - I would still opt for the 30" sink base and 36" lazy susan - I think that will be a much better storage option. If I want to have my trash in a base, the only place I see room for it is under the sink, and the only way for it to fit there is if I move my large water filtration system into the corner with this blind cabinet. Though blind cabs are typically terrible storage options, used this way, this blind frees up drawer storage elsewhere that might have been eaten up with a trash pull-out. I also get very useful storage with the 18" drawer base to the right of the stove that I wouldn't get if a susan is in the corner. a corner base with adjustable staggered shelving I'd seriously consider it if a 36" one fit in either corner, but the openings on the 33" corner bases are so narrow that they are difficult to get things out and even see what is in there. Thank you!...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESFashion Week Trends Your Home Will Wear Well
Spring 2014's ready-to-wear clothing collections aren't just for wardrobes
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Outfit Your Home in Fab Fashion Designer Accents
You don their clothes to look chic. Now your home can have its turn, with decor from some of the world's greatest fashion houses
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARD14 Crazy Places to Grow Edibles
Some Houzzers may lack ground for gardening, but they’re never short on imagination
Full Story
UPHOLSTERYThe Perks and Perils of Reupholstering Old Furniture
Secondhand upholstered pieces can add character to a room, but beware of bugs, snakes and hidden costs
Full Story
LIFEAge Is Just a Number: Houzzers’ Homes Old and New
Hear the stories behind homes ages 1 to 171, then share yours
Full Story
FURNITURE6 Decades-Old Designs That Look Better Than Ever
After getting a few nips and tucks, some favorites from the ’60s and ’70s have made a stylish comeback
Full Story
FURNITUREOld Furniture: Clean, Reupholster or Replace It?
A veteran upholstery cleaner weighs in on the options for found, inherited and thrift store furniture
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNNew and Old Mix It Up in a Historic Farmhouse Kitchen
A couple rethink the kitchen in their Pennsylvania farmhouse to restore authenticity while also creating a space for modern living
Full Story
VINTAGE STYLEDial Into Old Phones for Decor With Character
Give a nostalgic nod to the past with vintage telephones, working or not. Booths and sawdust optional.
Full Story
LIFEThe Polite House: How Can I Kindly Get Party Guests to Use Coasters?
Here’s how to handle the age-old entertaining conundrum to protect your furniture — and friendships
Full Story


writersblock (9b/10a)