SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

AGGGHH!!!!!!

Anglophilia
7 years ago

I hired a small company to do a small construction job for me back in March. They were recommended by one of my painter's helpers - it was his brother, nephew and one other guy. They came out, quoted me a price to remove my soffits and to drywall over the damaged plaster ceiling and paint it. They did nice work (I thought at the time) and were very good about cleaning up afterwards. Of course, I realized later that they had gotten dirt in my high gloss oil base enamel ceiling paint and in certain light it is quite apparent. Yes, it could be sanded and then repainted, but after having had my kitchen done, I'm pretty much through with sanding and all that dust, so it will stay the way it is.

At the same time, we talked about them putting bead board over a rough plastered ceiling on my sunporch and painting it as well. They gave me a price and were to start in early June. The job kept being pushed back and back and I was leaving for a month in late June, so we agreed we'd start this the first week of Aug. No one showed up or called. Finally got hold of them - he'd forgotten to put it on his schedule but could do it in two weeks. Two weeks came - again, no one showed. Called again - they were still tied up on a job. Finally, the son and helper showed up and said their dad had lost his measurements and they were here to do them again. We again discussed the size of bead board I wanted and they said they needed the paint as they wanted to paint it, put it up and then touch it up where they had nailed. Fine - went that day and got the paint and left it on the front porch. They were to paint it and be back Wed. No one showed. Called the dad and he said they couldn't possibly finish the job that week - they mow all day on Thurs and Fri. Mow? So I was told the following Mon they would be here. He called on Thurs and said they were having trouble with the paint (SW acrylic semi-gloss) - it was "bubbling up" and they would have to sand it down and repaint it. He said they were painting in his dad's garage which was very damp. I said fine but I'm not paying for this due to poor choice of place to paint. I was to also go chose some vinyl bead board for them to install on the front porch ceiling. I went to Lowes and bought it and left it for them to pick up.

Finally, they showed up this AM, 45 minutes after they had said they'd be here. I would have liked 45 minutes more sleep. I had removed all the small items from the sunporch and they put all the rest in my dining room, a room that I had only recently finally gotten back after redoing my kitchen. They started to remove ceiling trim and I asked them just what the problem had been with the paint. They said the bubbling was the knot holes seeping sap through. I nearly had a heart attack - I was not aware they were buying bead board with knot holes. They said that's all there is - knotty pine paneling. I asked what primer they used - they had used the wrong one for knotty pine and I knew that it would continue to seep and be a problem. I asked to see the wood on the truck and was appalled - there were sap deposits everywhere and the paint job looked like it had been done with a cob. I said this was totally unacceptable. They said "Call Dad". I did and he said for them to call him - I suggested he call his son himself. Son rang the doorbell again - had I talked to "Dad" - I said he was going to call HIM. He said he had and that they were to bring the bead board back and work on it. I suggested that instead they would go to Lowes and pick up the vinyl bead board and get it installed on the front porch so I could re-install my porch light which had been down for 2 months. They left, saying they would pick it up and be right back.

Two hours later they had not returned. I called "Dad" and he said he'd told them to come back to where he was working and that they were not going to complete the job - I was too hard to please - after all, it was "only a porch". I said did I not at least deserve a call telling me this? He didn't want anything more to do with me. I told him to send "the Boys" back to put all my porch furniture back on the sunporch. They would "try" to get by this afternoon. I will never see them again.

I'm terrified that he's going to dump that $500 worth of bead board on my front walk and expect me to pay for it and if I don't, he'll put a Mechanics Lien on my house. I have NOTHING in writing about this job, other than the price scribbled on a piece of notepad.

I'm SO disappointed - really wanted my pale blue bead board ceiling on my newly redecorated sun porch which I use all the time. And I'm furious that they have let me down so badly. I"m also afraid I'm going to be stuck with that bead board. And I have no idea who else to hire for such a small job - contractors don't do small jobs anymore.

GRRRRRR..... Can no one do anything right these days? What an unholy mess...

Comments (9)