SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Can I be any more forgetful?

eld6161
7 years ago

Yesterday I went to CVS for cotton balls, the lingerie shop for an item, then to Dunkin Donuts for tea to drink at my monthly Weight Watcher's meeting.

Left the meeting, drive home and walked my dog. But......as I was walking I realized I did not bring home my shopping bag! WW was closed and they do not have personal phone numbers only an 800. They could not help.

Of course, I was upset all night about this. I was like a dog with a bone, and just couldn't give it up.

This morning I drove over to WW and we searched everywhere. I left and went to my exercise class. As i was thinking about it, it occurred to me that I might have left the bag at Dunkin Donuts.

But, here's the thing. In my mind's eye, I thought I had this bag at the meeting. To add to my embarrassment, I found my leaders phone number only because I remember that she taught an adult ed Pilates class. I left a message about my lost items.

After class I decided to replace my lingerie and the cotton balls. But, I decided to go to Dunkin Donuts just to totally them out. Well, my bag was there!

I do have a tendency to be forgetful, and I planed touring my bag to the car, before going to WW. But, I was having a friendly conversation with the shop keeper and didn't have enough time to go back to my car. And it is funny, because I know me, and going back before the meeting would have eliminated all this stress.

I am happy that there are honest people. anyone could have just took my bag from Dunkin Donuts, but it was turned in.

Happy ending, but what a fiasco. Vent over.

Comments (57)

• eld6161
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Moni, I went to Dunkin Donuts first, on the second trip back there after my exercise class, really not expecting it to be there. So, I didn't replace my purchase first. Wish I thought of going there at 9:00 on my first trip there.

Annie, your story tops mine for today. Funny I had a blood lab move too! I went to the usual building and there was another lab there, but not mine. They didn't know where mine moved to. It's a Quest, and they were not answering the phone. I went upstairs to a doctor's office thinking that they might know something and they did. Luckily, it moved just across the street.

I have also had my phone fall out of my bag numerous times.

Adellabella, one reason why I was so upset too was the thought of someone not being honest and just taking my bag. This bothered me more than actually losing the purchases.

Raven LOL.

Chisue, I do that too.

Junco, haha, I only checked back there five times! You would think I would get the hint the first time I looked and it wasn't there.

• User
    7 years ago

What's really annoying is to look somewhere a hundred times, don't find it, a month later, looking for something else, there it is. Right in that spot I already looked a hundred times.

eld6161 thanked User
  • Related Discussions

I am so sad! I don't need any more Things!

Q

Comments (25)
    Pamala...that was deep :oP And in my case quite correct :) I actully feel a connection with the things I add to my home. A lovely little cordial glass can give me as much or more pleasure as an antique piece of jewelry. I love that the things were held in someone's hand a hundred years ago :) and now I get to enjoy them. I've always been this way, from a canning jar to a yellow ware bowl, I just love the joy of old stuff :oP And now I have an excuse to need more...so the hunt continues. And I will say, it's the hunt and kill aspect that makes it so much more fun than if I just walked into a store and said "I'll take that and that and that" to fill spaces verses searching for the perfect silly little thing...which normally I don't find, it finds me :o) I will say, I also have really gotten into the hunt to give away as well! I just gave habitat for humanity enough stuff from this house to fill three truck loads. I love losing the clutter and love that losing it meant it went to help someone else have a home some day or fill a home someday (our habitat store is a nice thrift store and it's a wonderful place to shop). I did the same thing in alaska when we moved into our finished house. It was great to donate a huge heap of very usable stuff that no longer apealed to me or I didn't have a need for anymore. Maybe I have house focused bulemia? Binge and purge syndrome...only instead of food I binge on silly things like antique canning jars LOL
    ...See More

I doubt I'll post any more pictures

Q

Comments (18)
    It never occurred to me that any pics posted would be considered private, even tho' GW seemed "little" and kind of closed. I always thought it odd when people posted pics of their children, though and wished people wouldn't. But now it seems like facebook is the world's family picture album, so posting here probably seems benign to some. I do think it's kinda funny that someone who posted ad nauseum pictures of her home as the perfect example of something on nearly every thread (even tho it wasn't), is now crying about how many pictures she has are out there (I'm not referring to anyone on this thread). It was annoying even when it was just GW and I don't really believe she ever intended to remove them, even tho' she's crying foul because she can't. But she's just some stranger out in cyberspace and her (and our) pics mean nothing to anyone else. If no one posted pics, none of us would be able to search for things we'd like to see examples of. So we are just adding to the collective of decorating ideas that are out there.
    ...See More

any ideas on what more I can put under this mirror? table etc.

Q

Comments (9)
    I am sorry, but in my opinion the mirror is sort of big for that spot and anything you put under it should have open legs because of the vent. If you want to leave the mirror, how about a wrought iron stand with a plant in it? Plant should be bushy like a fern or a pothos.
    ...See More

Can anyone see any pictures any more?

Q

Comments (11)
    I can. I'm using 64-bit Windows 10 and Firefox 64-bit as well. Real geeky specs which tells me that the developer/tech staff are using similar, it works for them and they didn't bother testing before they rolled out this latest version. Cretins. I have worked in web development and the first law of web development is: test across all browsers/devices before you send it live
    ...See More
  • jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

I have said it before and I just might possibly say it again, "This getting old is getting old!"

eld6161 thanked jim_1 (Zone 5B)
  • Embothrium
    7 years ago

I worked on trying to find out if a medical provider was in network for several days beforehand and then forgot about the appointment when the time came.

eld6161 thanked Embothrium
  • nanny98
    7 years ago

I think we are moving thru a star studded field of chaos...hang on, there is more to come!

eld6161 thanked nanny98
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

My neighbor sent me an email this morning, her husband got up and dressed and said he was going for his scheduled yearly medical exam. A short time later he returned home. His appointment was the 9th not the 6th. LOL

It's a downhill run from here folks!

eld6161 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Raven, I once did that too. But in my favor, it was only because my original appointment was reschedule on the part of the doctor. I somehow wrote in the new appointment on the wrong day. I was lucky in that they squeezed me in.

• schoolhouse_gw
    7 years ago

I do that often. Don't worry about it.

Also I left my keys locked in my running car - again - one day this week. Luckily I have a second set in my wallet but talk about embarrassing.

eld6161 thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • Embothrium
    7 years ago

I go to the store and then blank out.

• User
    7 years ago

My biggest aging thing is not being able to think of a common word. For instance, I was trying to think of Idaho, a neighboring state, but I just drew a blank. It's when I stop thinking so hard that the word comes, but it's kind of scary. But DH had a really funny word substitution recently. We were at a restaurant and he needed another napkin. The waitress was behind the counter so he went over to her and asked if he could have another banana! He has no idea why banana popped out instead of napkin. There were no bananas in sight. We laughed so hard.

eld6161 thanked User
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

And of course, my brain checked out the other day. I was making chicken soup, went to the pantry, opened the container and proceeded to pour beef broth into the chicken soup! Oh well, it came out tasty anyway. I don't think you can kill soup.

eld6161 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Yayagal
    7 years ago

Short term memory loss is a product of aging and, for women, it's worse as they are used to multi functioning and it's almost not possible after "a certain age". I used to be able to memorize a whole host of things to do for the day and now I write them all down and forget where I put the list. lol

eld6161 thanked Yayagal
  • User
    7 years ago

I keep finding myself paying for my items then walking right out without my bags. Whats going on.........old age?

eld6161 thanked User
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mayflowers, DH had a similar one. We were at Lord and Taylor and we decided to go to the cafe for lunch. He asked if the lunchroom was open and then said "you know, the cafeteria?" We also had a good laugh about that one.

So, of course,now we have incorporated lunchroom in our repertoire.

• User
    7 years ago

He's regressed back to grade school!

eld6161 thanked User
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haha!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I thought I was losing it. Had my yard man cone and polish all my silver the week before Christmas. I distinctly remembered putting the silver polish back under the sink. Christmas afternoon when my DGS was here to help me with all the washing up, I opened the door to grab the polish - like to polish it again before putting it away. No jar of polish. Huh? Looked everywhere for that polish - thought maybe he'd left it in the basement where he was polishing - not there.

Then last night I was in the hall closet where I gave a cabinet for cleaning stuff. Noticed that the carrier was a mess - full of dirty miracle cloths. Got a trash bag to through out some nearly empty products and grabbed the carrier to take to the kitchen. There was my polish! No, I did NOT put it there - cleaning woman tried to do something "a bit extra" and took the polish from under the sink and didn't return it. I have no idea what she polished but I'm sure I'll find out and it will be a mess. Also found a jar of furniture polish and a rag covered in it. That probably explains why two small pieces were a sticky mess. Washed all the rags and straightened it all up.

Today, I told her she was to only vacuum, dust, clean bathrooms and kitchen floor and counters. Instead, she rearranged two bookcases and didn't dust any tables in my bedroom. This cannot go on but I cannot find anyone else.

So, it wasn't my age-addled brain that misplaced the danged silver polish!

eld6161 thanked Anglophilia
  • schoolhouse_gw
    7 years ago

JoAnn, I tend to do that very thing and usually at the Dollar General. I 'll drive all the way home sometimes and have only one of my two bags. Or as you say, go out to the car and remember my bag is still hanging on the bag rack in the store. The clerks are too busy to notice I guess.

• susie53_gw
    7 years ago

I don't know when I have laughed so hard. It is wonderful to read that I am not alone in my forgetfulness. Yesterday I went to the grocery and didn't have my billfold with me. Thank goodness I had my charge card with me!! Things like this happens more often. Oh well!!

eld6161 thanked susie53_gw
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Then, there are the times that you head out of your neighborhood onto the main road, and sit for a minute because you don't exactly remember where you are going........

• lily316
    7 years ago

I seriously am glad to read this because it can become worrisome. My long term memory seems to be getting better but the short term is shot. I have trouble reading a book. I need to go back a page or two to remember where I am. But then I can spot a TV rerun that I've seen maybe a few years ago. I hate looking for a common word and never remembering until much later.

eld6161 thanked lily316
  • arkansas girl
    7 years ago

The other day I was at the pet store, bought one thing and just walked away leaving the bag on the counter that was right in front of me. Talk about feeling stupid! UGH! Thank goodness the cashier wasn't busy and reminded me. I suppose it would have dawned on me that I didn't have my bag. I was distracted and looking at my dog sitting in the car watching for me, I could see her from the check out line. She's so funny how she watches so intensely, not taking her eyes off the door.

Yes, the short term memory is sometimes shot. Drives me crazy how I can do something and have almost no memory of doing it.

eld6161 thanked arkansas girl
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think we need to be more mindful. In my case, in the back of my mind I knew I should have taken the extra time to return to my car with my package, realizing that my memory is just not the same.

I agree that it is difficult to multitask. I think I am going to be mindful and in the moment of each activity.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I now use a purse with the "wallet" part built into the zippered part on the front of the purse so I can't leave my wallet behind...though I could always forget the whole purse!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

My old boss used to talk about compensating errors when teaching statistics. He used the example of the time he came out of the store, went to open the car and saw the front door was locked and the keys were in the ignition. The compensating error...the back door was unlocked!

• aok27502
    7 years ago

How often have I left a restaurant, leaving my carry-home box on the table? I've taken to handing it to DH when they bring it to me.

Several times recently, I've been driving and realized that I am following my usual path, but it isn't where I wanted to go! I knew I needed to turn left to go to M's house, but out of habit and lack of paying attention, I went on my merry way until I was about two miles in the wrong direction. Aggghh!

eld6161 thanked aok27502
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Aok, I know! What age do you think this all starts?

• aok27502
    7 years ago

30 . I've been leaving my dinners behind for years. :)

eld6161 thanked aok27502
  • norsetex
    7 years ago

I've sometimes realized I know where I'm going but on the way there the middle part of my trip is totally gone from my mind , and not talking about great long distance trips. It does come to me after a while, but once had my grandaughter and friends wonder ..why are we going this way ? I do think most of us are juggling many things in our lives..

Aok27502, I've done that many times ...get on a familiar road and autopilot takes over .

eld6161 thanked norsetex
  • chisue
    7 years ago

Fifteen years ago I was toting around a huge, heavy bag of material samples and brochures of hardware. (We were were building a new house, a year-long process of actual construction.) I didn't think twice about it. I had half a dozen house-related stops and many decisions to make every day -- and I was still keeping our lives running. We closed on our longtime home; moved to a temporary apartment; monitored new house progress. There was stress, but I could DO it all! (I did have both hips replaced four and six years after we moved in.)

As I approached 70, I noted a decline in stamina and now, at 75, an accelerating decline in mental acuity. I also see this in my DH (78) -- the first *visible* change in his appearance only in the last two years.

When did we become 'elderly'? I'm going to say early seventies. What astounds me is that we never thought about BEING old. We failed to apply the obvious to ourselves, despite seeing it all around us -- in 'other people'.

I'm adding that I think we are now living in less physically challenging times, but more mentally complicated times. DH and I spent two hours -- partly on the phone -- trying to get the Internet, TV and BluRay working here at the condo on arrival. (Internet provider had altered the password by one letter; cleaner had disconnected the power cord on the back of the TV; the BluRay connection to the TV was incorrect.) We are also all constantly distracted by 24/7 connection to the whole darn world, and one electrical outage away from being disconnected from our personal worlds.

eld6161 thanked chisue
  • phoggie
    7 years ago

Oh my gosh, I am so thankful to read these posts! I also do some forgetful things and had convinced myself that I was getting dementia! I read a stupid ad on Facebook and it "assured" me that I was correct. It is the worst fear I have because my mother had ALZ for many years and it was so hard on her and the family. I just turned 75.

eld6161 thanked phoggie
  • Embothrium
    7 years ago

Recent medical view that has arisen is that it isn't in fact normal for people to fall apart with age, that many are not getting adequate nutrition. For instance in one of the TV segments with the bald brain doctor (maybe Amen - I can't, of course remember exactly!) that PBS has shown in my market for some time he pushes B12 for brain health, says it even helps Alzheimer's patients.

eld6161 thanked Embothrium
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

In my experience, I don't worry about forgetfulness as a sign of dementia. That really came about in spades in my MIL when she started wandering the halls looking for breakfast at 10:30 at night. So until I start wandering around and getting confused as to place and time, I'm ok.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, and as they say, it's okay to misplace your keys, it's when you find them in the refrigerator that you should worry.

• jemdandy
    7 years ago

Can I be any more forgetful?

Yes. You could have forgotten that you went to Dunkin Donuts. You were able to retrace yesterday's sojourn. That's got to count for something.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you jemdandy! ;)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

eld the keys in the fridge crack me up....when I eat out with a friend and have a doggie bag, I often put it in her fridge with the car keys as that way I know I can't leave without remembering the food too.

• chisue
    7 years ago

I left my car keys in the fridge ages ago -- when I was *young*. I'd looked all over the house for them and finally took the spare set to meet DH's commuter train. I found the keys when I started making dinner. I'd set them down to wedge a heavy gallon of milk onto a shelf after shopping that morning. I've never done it again...yet.

eld6161 thanked chisue
  • aok27502
    7 years ago

My sister turned 60 a few weeks ago. She said she saw a t-shirt that she wanted. It said "I always thought getting old would take longer."

:P

eld6161 thanked aok27502
  • lily316
    7 years ago

We bought a brand new car a few months ago, and I picked red so I could find it in the parking lot. First red car we ever had and it turns out everyone else had the same thought . Husband was struggling to open the Subaru last night when I asked why our Dachshund magnet wasn't there. Yep, not our car.

eld6161 thanked lily316
  • schoolhouse_gw
    7 years ago

Just a few minutes ago I jumped up out of my chair, exclaiming to the cat that I hadn't checked the mailbox yet today and it's near 4pm. So I bundle up and trek out to the box................it's Sunday. :(

• Hareball
    7 years ago

Yeah there have been a few times where I've tried to use my work badge on the buttons on the elevator. lol I'm only 34 :..( lol My husband is pretty forgetful too. I tell him we should just check ourselves into a home already haha

eld6161 thanked Hareball
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

None of this stuff has ever happened to me. HA! I'm totally kidding. It happens all the freaking time. Today is the second day in a week that I don't have my phone. I'm sure it's in the floor of the car. sigh

eld6161 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Rob, when I was younger, I could also be forgetful. I think though, as we age it becomes a different type of forgetful.

In your case, you are a busy working mom with lots on your plate. So, it's understandable with all the juggling that you are doing.

I don't work full time and no longer have children at home to think about. For whatever reason, it has become much harder to multi task as this is when I think the danger of forgetting comes in.

I think that as we age we need to be mindful of doing things one at a time.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

You're sweet

eld6161 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • lily316
    7 years ago

Even crazier, last night I was throwing away a piece of trash and I reached under the sink where the trash can was kept FIFTEEN years ago!!! We remodeled in 2001 and have had a pull out one across from this one since that time. Seriously freaked me out.

eld6161 thanked lily316
  • norar_il
    7 years ago

My doctor says not to worry when you misplace your keys, no matter where you put them. The time to worry is when you don't know what keys are and what they are for. I like my doctor!

eld6161 thanked norar_il
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    7 years ago

Are you all really that forgetful? I can't imagine being that way! I have a daughter that is, but I sure am not. At least not yet.

Sue

eld6161 thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • joyfulguy
    7 years ago

Got news for ya, folks ... (bad news, I fear) ... it gets worse.

Some time ago, at the coffee shop after the monthly investment group meeting, I'd said that I was worried as to whether I was skating on the edge of the Alzheimers rink ...

... and a guy sitting across from me, with whom I've had a bit more than the usual connection, and who's had quite a lot to do with Alzheimers in his family, looked at me and said, "Ed - you don't have to worry about Alzheimers!".

Which warmed my spirit ... until I though that his (diagnosis) ... mjght be somewhat of a temporary reprieve.

ole joyfuelled (so far)

eld6161 thanked joyfulguy
Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals