SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Can we talk about Corelle?

IdaClaire
7 years ago

Do you have it, and what's your opinion of it?

I'm thinking of buying a set - or possibly just plates and bowls (don't need the mugs that come with the sets), as DH has complained that the dishes I recently picked up at Home Goods get suspiciously hot in the microwave and he suspects they aren't really safe to use.

I sold my Fiesta to a friend, so I'm "out of the Fiesta biz", so to speak.

My new Mikasa stoneware dishes have arrived and I absolutely love them, but I think DH is a bit intimidated by them and their newness and would be more comfortable using something on a daily basis such as Corelle.

Seems like I've read that the new stuff is perhaps not as durable as older Corelle - ? I know I can get "vintage" pieces on eBay. What would your suggestion be for someone who has never owned this brand, but would like to try it?

Comments (77)

• grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

I have some that I have used for 35 years and some newer. I have the plain white. I love it.....so light and easy to store. I really like others dishes to look at....but I do not like the weight.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    7 years ago

I have had two sets, one many years ago when first our of college and another set maybe 10 years ago. Both of my DD's have sets as well. For the price and durability I think it can't be beat. We have only broken a dish or two and those met up with a concrete floor! You can easily load/unload from the dishwasher. We all have Corning ware casseroles that we use frequently.

• Related Discussions

Can we talk about stone veneer?

Q

Comments (60)
    When exterior materials of different coefficients of expansion are rigidly attached to one another, they will eventually fail. Therefore, the attachment detail of veneer materials not only needs to allow water to drain, it must allow the materials to move independently. This is why the original "brick veneer" system had a cavity between the structural wall and a wythe of brick 4" thick and the brick was supported on a ledge and attached to the wall with flexible ties. A stone veneer wall was the same with 4" thick stone. I've designed and built many buildings with this system. Designing a tile-like cladding for a wood framed wall is difficult even in warm, dry climates. Some good systems were described in this thread 5 years ago. I'm not sure why cultured stone would perform worse than natural stone except that it absorbs more moisture, however, the joints do that anyway and in the photos above, the cultured stone doesn't appear to have cracked.
    ...See More

Can we talk? About the photo threads?

Q

Comments (27)
    Annie, I, too, appreciate your helming this ship and I hope we can get back to normal soon. I vote to keep the name as it because it is so well known and most of us know what to do. My suggestion would be when you state the theme for the day, right under it maybe post something like "Let's see YOUR photos" or something like that. That way it's clear right away and you can look at the rules, but it's pretty clear what is expected. Your photo may very well be one that someone else took but if you just say that when you post it, that should suffice. Most everybody starts at the very beginning of each post so they should see that message. Thanks for all you do!!! Edited to Add: I wrote this before going over to today's thread and saw what you posted. That's perfect to me! Thanks.
    ...See More

Can we talk about kitty litter?

Q

Comments (30)
    As the owner of two cats, both prolific pee-ers (can't figure out correct spelling or perhaps not a real word), I was thrilled to discover Sustainably Yours Cat Litter with odor control. I used to use WBCL, but once I tried Sustainably Yours I switched and never looked back. It is more expensive per bag, but it goes so much further because it clumps so much "tighter". I know some people complain of their cats' tracking the litter away from the litter box and I had that problem too, but I just got extra large litter mats to put under my boxes and have found that, by the time my cats reach the end of the mats, the litter has mostly fallen off their paws. As an added bonus for all decor obsessed cat owners, the Sustainably Yours which is crystal white, is actually quite pretty in it's unsoiled state! BTW: I do find the "plus" formula much more satisfactory at odor control than the original formula.
    ...See More

Can we talk about, ahem, bidet toilet seats?

Q

Comments (26)
    Based on recommendation from Ded tired, I bought the Bio Bidet by Bemis Slim Three Smart Bidet Toilet Seat, Elongated, White from Amazon last week. It arrived yesterday, and I installed it today. It was $250 when I bought it, but I had an online coupon (from a Firefox add-on) for 10% off, and so it was $225. However, when I checked www.biobidet.com, I found that it was $200 if bought from the company, but I guess that did not include shipping. Anyway, it is now $319 at Amazon, just a week after I bought it. I do not know why the price suddenly jumped by $69, but I'm glad I bought it when I did. I like the heated water setting - I set mine on medium, and it is just right, but it could be set hotter. Installation was a bit of a pain, as the instructions (including the Youtube video) were not as complete as they should have been, but I managed anyway. Other people (from reviews) had the same problem with the top mount rubber anchors and were not able to install them, but I just squeezed them and forced them in. One thing they do not tell you is that the plug is grounded and has three prongs. Fortunately, I already had a grounded extension cord that I could use, as I do not have an outlet right next to the toilet. My W/C in Cathedral City does not have an outlet at all, and so I would not be able to use this bidet there. My one criticism of this bidet is that the water pressure could be a bit greater, but maybe there is a control for this that I have not found yet. Anyway, I would like to thank Dedtired for this recommendation! ETA: I found the control for water pressure, and it is very good now. I keep it set on medium or between medium and high.
    ...See More
  • dainaadele
    7 years ago

A couple of decades ago my husband and I moved every 3 months. I loved them! I stacked one on top of the other, tucked a few towels in the corners of the packing boxes, and drove to the next destination. Not one ever broke!

• K Sissy
    7 years ago

I have 2 sets of Corelle, which I purchased as new about 6 or 7 yrs ago. We use it every day. We like it a lot. The only thing that has happened to it once or twice, was that it chipped when I dropped it. It has been dropped more than that, but both sets have one small chip in only one plate per set. I think that's pretty good for the length of time that we've had it, and all of the use that it gets. I would definitely buy it again. A bonus is that it's made in the USA, and is very reasonably priced.

• probookie
    7 years ago

We downsized, sold our house, and moved to another state last year. I was ecstatic that DH allowed me to give away his stoneware set for 12 (always hated it, but compromised when we merged households) and successfully evaded my mother's umpteenth attempt to give us her Rosenthal Shadow Rose on arrival at the new place. Immediately purchased enough plain white Corelle to have my extended family over for dinner. Woohoo! What a feeling of freedom! DH loves the 2 sizes of smaller plates, so handy for his steady grazing during the day. The rice bowls are the perfect size and shape for tossing odds and ends together to microwave a 1-dish meal. The large shallow bowls that are probably for vegetables make excellent pasta bowls. So very happy with my new dishes!

• ghostlyvision
    7 years ago

I love Corelle, and keep forgetting I've been wanting to pick up a few bowls and lunch-size plates, so thanks for the reminder.

• westsider40
    7 years ago

Love love love my Corelle. I used to be a dishaholic but nowadays the only ones I use or even care about are my plain white Corelle. Never take down my china or stoneware or bone china. Who cares? Not me. Food looks good on plain white. All the above handling, stacking and dishwashing attributes are so true. I have no brittle edges but I have not used a magnifying glass to check. They seem perfect. I always microwave them and no problem. I may have one small chip but have never broken any Corelle. I use them for company. I ordered them for our new to us house. I dont want or know what to do with my old china and crystal and silver. Nah. And no one else wants it either. No more precious stuff for me. They just look crisp and fresh and clean to me. Pasta dishes are great. Serving pieces are wood, Nambe knockoffs, stoneware but not Corelle. Can't say whether Corelle 'goes' with your lovely house, tho--maybe.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I've had it for 38 years. I have had a few break, but not into shards, but large pieces. I bring them to the corning outlet and they replace them for free. I have the plain white and still love them.

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

Ida - which Mikasa did you select?

I've been looking at Italian Countryside but Dh doesn't care for the mugs. So I'm now looking at other patterns.

• miniscule
    7 years ago

I keep a few pieces of Corelle and use it for defrosting, microwaving, and containing ingredients to be used when I am cooking, and I also use it for pet feeding. I have been doing this for decades, find it very durable, and have not noticed any damage. For everyday we use Portmeirion Botanical Garden - I have about 20 place settings and the pattern on the ones I have had the longest is fading with many years in the dishwasher.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

Vitrified Corelle is the paper plate of plates. Dirt cheap, and no reason not to get a box set or two. When I brought home two boxes (best prices are by the box - throw out the mugs- btw) years ago, hubby said, " these are like paper plates!".

He was so excited to have thin plates and, of course, over the years, I loved unloading them from the dishwasher. Seriously. No sarcasm here, at least, compared to our heavy, but nice Denby.

• Kippy
    7 years ago

I love the Corelle outlet but have yet to buy any (Pyrex is my downfall).

I have spent a silly amount of time trying to decide if that was the way to go for mom. No microwave here and we carry outside, so I ended up with melamine instead

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

There's something to be said about being able to pull, out of the dw, four dinner plates at once with one hand...no sarcasm here either :D

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I know lots of people that own older stuff and it's in excellent condition without any issues. I bought a "new" set and after about 7 years or so the edges started to get weird. The outer coating appeared to be coming off. I did have one plate break in the dishwasher, but it was a clean break and they sent me another one with no issues. Not sure why it broke because I've dropped many of the dishes and never had problems. I like how nice they stack and how light weight they are.

This was the set I had and the pattern is discontinued.

This is what the edges started to do. Mine wasn't this bad yet.

I've had this discussion with a few different people and am starting to wonder if it's just newer ones with patterns. Perhaps they're made a little different. I know people with newer solid white Corelle, use all the time, dishwasher, and still don't have the chipped edges going on. I'd still be using the same set if this didn't become an issue.

FWIW, we have well water, use a water softener, and I use Seventh Generation powder dishwashing detergent.

• Oakley
    7 years ago

I keep the Corelle on top of the nicer plates we use. Some are 25 years old, the newer are a few years old. None have ever chipped. They stack wonderfully in the cabinets and the dishwasher and don't get hot in the microwave.

Love them!

• maries1120
    7 years ago

Another Corelle lover! I have all white and have had these for many years although I have added pieces over the years. I think I have only had one break in all the years I've had it.

• arkansas girl
    7 years ago

I have two sets of Corelle. I wouldn't have anything else! Got rid of the heavy stoneware years ago. It's funny, we were just talking about this yesterday with a group of friends. One guy was telling us that he has a friend that buys storage rooms of stuff and resells them. He said that no one wants the fine china anymore, he cannot give it away. He said that everyone just wants Corelle dishes.

OH and btw, I have never had a piece break and shatter. Tile floors are bad when dropping these! HA!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all of the input on Corelle! I had no idea my question would generate so many responses, but appreciate all who took the time to respond. Very helpful and informative discussion.

I'm leaning towards getting a few plates to try out, probably in that gray and white pattern I shared above. I'm putting the purchase on hold for now, though - even though it's not a big expenditure - as I ended up buying a painting yesterday instead. Hey, priorities. ;-)

Maire_cate, you asked which Mikasa I chose ... It's the Spector Blue pattern. Here it is in the stock photo, and on my kitchen counter:

I'm very pleased with it.

I like the Italian Countryside pattern too. It's lovely!

• porkandham
    7 years ago

I've never really cared for Corelle - something about the way it feels in my hands. We have several sets of everyday dinnerware. The one that gets the most use is a white porcelain set with a basket weave edge. I've had it for 25 years, and it's still going strong. We also have an earthenware set that was DH's before we got married. It's a little clunky, so we don't use it that often. We also have a china set that we inherited when my FIL passed away. It's the same set DH used everyday growing up. I try to use it a couple of times a week because it makes me smile to think that my boys are eating off the same plates DH used as a child. I don't put any of them in the microwave. I keep a stack of glass salad plates for things that need to go in the microwave.

• practigal
    7 years ago

That Mikasa is beautiful!

IdaClaire thanked practigal
  • lam702
    7 years ago

I am on my 2nd set of Corelle dishes. I just got tired of the old pattern and decided I wanted a new set. (Donated the old set) I do like the thinness and light weight of it. I have no problems microwaving with it. Yes, when it breaks it does shatter into many small, sharp shards. But it doesn't chip like stoneware.

• M Miller
    7 years ago

I posted above my experience with Corelle shattering. It just takes one time to make you never want Corelle dishes in your house again. I found a video on Youtube that is exactly what I experienced.

• deegw
    7 years ago

We had it while I was growing up. I would never use it in my own home because I really dislike the brittle feel and sound it makes when it bumps something. I usually don't get disturbed by texture or sounds so I have no idea why I have such a strong reaction to Corelle.

• chispa
    7 years ago

Maybe if you have some medical issue that causes you to constantly drop your Corelle, you might want to switch to something in plastic or paper, but for "normal" households a broken Corelle dish isn't some traumatic experience. It gets cleaned up quickly enough with a broom, dustpan and vacuum.

• aputernut
    7 years ago

I bought a set for everyday, when we built this house 20 yrs. ago (hard to believe 20 OMG) love my home and love these dishes, not a chip out of them, still perfect for my table.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Thing is unless your using plastic or paper..it could break. Depending on how far it falls, what it hit, temperature of the glass, ect would impact how many pieces it breaks into. I've broken more china than corelle. Many glass drinking glasses break into huge amounts of glass, but I'd bet most of us drink out of glass. I wouldn't out rule Corelle because its breakable, now if you don't like it for whatever other reason that's a different matter.

• caroline94535
    7 years ago

I've had some of my Winter Frost White Corelle dishes for 41 years. I used part of my 1975 "wedding gift cash" to purchase my first 20-piece set of dishes. I also received two Corning Ware casseroles, in the Cornflower pattern, and was all ready for domestic bliss!

The "domestic bliss" bombed out but my love affair with Corelle's Winter Frost White is going strong. Pieces have been replaced and the set(s) have been added to, but it's still my favorite daily dishes. I've had perhaps two pieces break in all these years. All dishes can break; it is not a traumatic experience.

The company has changed and sold out. The Corning Ware material was used in the early NASA programs as thermal tiles on the noses of rockets!

The new Corelle pieces in the plethora of designs do not have the high-quality of the Corelle of years past, but it can still be a wonderful alternative to heavy, easily chipped, and hard to store stoneware. Some of them are so pretty; I caved in the late 1980s and got a couple of the Pastel Bouquet covered casserole dishes, and one of the Shadow Iris casseroles. They came from thrift shops and are still going strong.

I now have 12 of everything! I love the six-inch bread and butter plates, the smaller "salad" plates, the sandwich trays, and the berry bowls.

How could you not love a plate loaded down like this!

Pro-Bookie! I'd love to have a set of Rosenthal china! I love complete sets of china, although I have "only" two partial sets - my own vintage Royal Albert's "Old Country Roses" (pure love!) and the MIL's Haviland "Autumn Leaf." If I had the room and "disposable income" I'd have several complete sets of china. Of course, my nieces (all except one) or nephews would not care to inherit it. And two people can eat off of only so many dishes!

• User
    7 years ago

Another one who gets squigged out by Corelle, I can't stand to hear (or feel) a knife against it, I have no idea why, but it's not just Corelle, I don't like to eat off of wheel thrown plates or use silverplated utensils either. I am kind of a dish set collector, I have, ahem, four sets in current rotation; Villeroy and Boch "Botanical", a fun polka dot pattern, a Royal Stafford brown and orange lily pattern and a Varages pattern with raised bees on the rim (all from TJ Maxx except the V&B). And those are just the sets, I have a set of Varages scalloped edge luncheon plates, a set of PB metal plates, and, yeah, more mostly one offs or a few of things I've picked up at thrift shops. I might have a problem.....

• loonlakelaborcamp
    7 years ago

Love my Corelle. Have had some of it 38+ years. May have broken half a dozen during that time. I've broken more glassware in a year! I did break stoneware a lot when I lived at home with parents -- it was so heavy. I have even inherited quite a bit from my sister.

I keep picking up new items at thrift stores, and I get single pieces at : www.shopworldkitchen.com/corelle/

My pattern is Old Town Blue, but I supplement it with the plain white. I love how I can get all my dinnerware and serving pieces in just two cabinets. (Enough for at least 24).

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

The colors of that Mikasa stoneware pattern will look wonderful in your kitchen.

• ghostlyvision
    7 years ago

Oh goodness, I just looked at Corelle's site and they have polka dot dishes (Polka Dottie), I must find some. :)

http://www.corelle.com/vive-polka-dottie-16-pc-dinnerware-set/1125446.html

• Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

I like those ghostlyvision. It is funny that this is post is here now. I have been thinking I would like some new dishes too. My fiestaware is a bit heavy. but I want colorful plates and I dont think you can get that in a lightweight, safe plate.

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

We have Corelle and it is fine. Yes, when it breaks it shatters, but it's easy to clean up. With granite counters and tile floors, it is done if it hits the floor. Just do a thorough job. If you have a favorite vintage pattern, you can get them at Replacements. I don't really drive in that area much anymore, but I would always stop in and pick up a few pieces.

I like Fiestaware, but they are bigger plates, and I'm not sure if they would fit in our cabinet.

Anyone ever have the Visions cookware? I had that in grad school.

• Jane
    7 years ago

I love the white round corelle. I have 16 each of dinner plates, salad plates and bowls. I use them instead of paper plates or melamine. I use the bowls to mix things, the salad plates as cutting boards, the saucers from an old set as microwave lids.

I rarely eat takeout or microwave meals without plating them. I even plate appetizers. Plating adds a lot to quality of life and self respect, and it makes you eat more nutritious (colorful) food. I learned that when I didn't have use of my kitchen for two months.

Once a cabinet shelf containing all my dishes fell. The only corelle that broke were mugs from an old set (the glass, not the newer stoneware mugs) and only the handles broke off. The stoneware I owned was history - I have a couple of saucers and a couple of plates left.

I have been able to get most of my corelle for around $2 apiece.

I have lots of other plates for when I want to make a meal special. My parent's china, and lots of different plates that I fell in love with from crate and barrel. But when I don't want to think too hard and I just need to eat something, I grab the corelle.

It takes about two minutes to empty the dishwasher.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

If you just need a few plates and bowls, Home Goods could be a place to pick up something. I've seen white porcelain and bone china for about the same price as Corelle. I have plain white bone china for my everyday (the original Hotel Collection from Macy's) bought after we had some others (marked micro safe) got too hot in the micro and worry me Bone china is lightweight, durable, goes in the micro with no problem. The earlier dishes also chipped like crazy I liked the Hotel Collection that I found some less expensive bine china for each of my boys when they went off to college. Seems counterintuitive, but it's durable stuff got guys.

BTW, I was in a TJ Maxx and sw some aqua and turquoise bowls and pieces that made me think of your other dishes and the thread about serving pieces. I have seen some of them at Home Goods too. Surely you have one up that way?

• eandhl2
    7 years ago

First set was Bennington pottery, to heavy & chipped easily. Then we got Wilton Armatale pewter. Love them, still use at times but it doesn't go in DW. So I bought Corelle Sandstone. The edges of dinner plates show ware in the stack in the cabinet but not on the table. Easy DW load & unload, look ok. Dropped some mugs in soapstone sink and the handles fell off. Otherwise no problems.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Macy's has a 4 hour sale on china today and tomorrow -- most appears to be 40% off and if you join the Thanks for Sharing (pay $25 and they donate $10 to charity), you would get an extra 10% off that purchase as well as any Macy's purchase through the end of the year (they send you a gift card in February for the total amount). The Hotel Collection and some sets of Corelle are included (includingthis one I've ever seen before). Looks like the 4 pc place settings of the Hotel Collection will be half off during the Labor Day sale starting Wednesday. Looks like it may be a good time to be looking. Hope that helps.

IdaClaire thanked lascatx
  • Lisa G
    7 years ago

We recently switched over to Corelle to replace our Pottery Barn white dishes that we used for about 9 years. We only like eating off of solid white dishes so both the Corelle & Pottery Barn sets are white.

The Corelle gets much hotter in the microwave than other dishes plus they are so thin so when they're hot, they are HOT. I don't care for the look of Corelle...they just look thin & cheap like paper plates...but I do love using them.

Pros: Stack thin in cabinets. I have 12 place settings and a stack of 12 plates takes up the same space that 3-4 PB plates did. I like that they are lightweight and I totally echo the person who mentioned grabbing 4+ plates from the dishwasher with one hand! I grab one in between each finger and pull them out!

I love the small bowls...I think berry bowls? The pasta bowls are awesome for when you want a plate/bowl hybrid. We don't have a good bowl size for microwaving oatmeal yet...we have the berry bowls which are too small, a larger bowl that is shaped like the berry bowl but it's not wide enough or something, and then the pasta bowls which are wide enough but not deep enough. I'm sure they make what we need, we just don't have it yet. :) I also love how they stay upright in the dishwasher where my PB ones were handmade and we're all different shapes and some stayed straight better than others.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I'm not a fan of Corelle - just not to my taste. But if you're looking for everyday dishes that are very durable and child-proof, do consider Le Cadeux. They are melamine and the designs are fabulous! VERY handsome and virtually unbreakable.

• Jane
    7 years ago

Corelle.com has a banner that says "buy 20 save 50% corelle open stock". I don't know how the prices compare.

Also I saw a second embossed option.

• User
    7 years ago

There's been controversy about the safety of melamine.

• missymoo12
    7 years ago

Shortly after we moved into our old house 24 years ago I bought a set of Corelle. My sister and MIL had it and raved about how it never breaks. My kids were little, almost two and four years old, so I bought two sets of eight. Very pretty fluted pattern with flowers.

I was unloading the dishwater one day with my DD, not quite two, in her high chair in the kitchen. I had the entire stack of 16 plated in both hands but just bumped the frame of the cabinet and I swear those dishes leaped out of my hands onto the vinyl floor and EXPLODED!!! All 16 -- unrecognizable as anything but shards of glass on the floor. All over the kitchen.

I was barefoot and my DD started screaming, crying, and trying to get out of her high chair. I couldn't get to her because of the glass. She was scared to death. She is 26 and still remembers that day "mommy boke the dises" I had to climb on the counters to get to the dining room doorway and run get shoes to get her out of the highchair.

So I called Corelle. They replaced all of the plates and I packed them up in a box and never used again. I replaced with cheap white fruit embossed stoneware - some from the dollar store and still have that set.

I do have and use Corelle soup bowls and berry bowls. Plain white rimmed in black.

But one of my weaknesses is dishes, maybe 12 sets.... But I'm saving that Corelle set for my daughter when she gets married.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

You think the daughter who was traumatized by the shattering dishes when she as in a highchair is going to want a set of those for her own?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

I would be more concerned about the safety of dishes from China than Corelle possibly breaking. Certainly they could break but things happen. I had an entire wall of closet shelving 16' long and with stuff to the 9' ceiling, fall off the wall. It was awful but I got through it.

• chellefnp
    7 years ago

This thread is bringing back bad childhood memories of my own.....trying to get way too many of those flippin' cups to stack up and not fall over when it was my turn to unload our Butterfly Gold from the dishwasher......

My mom used those dishes until the day she died, at least 35 years.

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

Just ordered a set of 6 of the pasta bowls in Winter White Frost...6/$23 As I was reading the reviews (Amazon), I came across this recipe. Yummy...not! <lol>

Review...I love Corelle, and especially these pasta bowls. I use them
    two-at-a-time in the microwave, constantly. You can put a full leg of
    chicken in the lower bowl and then 'top' it obversely with the other,
    and microwave. (Really quick meal: squirt mustard, catchup,
    soy/Worcestershire sauce over the frozen leg, mix them a little, nuke
    for 10 minutes.)
    Don't be too careful about fitting the two bowls on
    each other, leave the top bowl a bit 'off' so air can escape during
    microwaving.

• highdesertowl
    7 years ago

This thread inspired me to go to ebay and pick up some Corelle! I grew up with it, but had since forgotten all about it. My cupboards are full of pottery and stoneware; which are fast becoming a real pain with the arthritis developing in my hands. Thanks so much to everyone for posting--my first plates arrived today, and feeling how lightweight they are--made me SMILE

• Michael
    7 years ago

We've been using Corelle since our first home in 1974. When we moved to our new retirement home in 2014, we sold our used but excellent condition Cornflower Corelle on Local to You page and purchased the Urban Grid sets.

The offer we accepted for the vintage Cornflower was in the hundreds of $$$. Shocker to us!

• David Chipps
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

MY MOM HAD CORELLE DISHES for twenty years. I HATED THEM because EVERYTHING STUCK TO THEM. EVERYTHING. Melted cheese? Get out a razor and scrape before putting it in the dishwasher. I went with BAKEWARE—HOMER LAUGHLIN. The problem with BAKEWARE is that repeated exposures to heat weakens it—leading to chipping and cracking. HOWEVER, BAKEWARE IS A BREEZE TO WASH BY HAND and you can't put something in the DISHWASHER CAKED WITH DRIED CHEESE and gunk. So I wash my bakeware by hand which is still easier than sitting and TRYING TO SCRAPE CHEESE FROM A CORELLE PLATE to put in the DISHWASHER. BAKEWARE is also a little heavy for the dishwasher, but scraping cheese off a CORELLE PLATE will lead to CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME FASTER. CORELLE WILL BREAK if you throw it on the floor—the main selling point FOR CORELLE IS HEAT DOES NOT weaken it. SO REPEATED MICROWAVE AND DISHWASHER EXPOSURE WILL NOT HURT THE DISHWARE.