SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Can we talk? About the photo threads?

Annie Deighnaugh
4 years ago

I can't tell you all how distressed I am that the thread that was meant to share creativity and personal experiences has caused hard feelings. It's meant to be a respite and relief, not a source of contention. I'd like to improve it if we can so we can avoid any issues and ask for your input and help in doing so. This is not *my* thread, but *our* thread and want to make it work for all of us. I will continue to start these threads so long as I feel they are bringing more pleasure than discomfort. But if they go the other way, then I unfortunately will have to drop out.

The guidelines serve the purpose of defining the "mission" or purpose of the threads if you will of being a place to share one's experiences and eyes on the world, to encourage us to observe more, and enjoy other's views of the world, the places we've been, the things we've seen and captured through our lens on the world. Without the guidelines, I fear the threads will deteriorate into something largely indistinguishable from all the other threads in these forums. I wouldn't like to see that as I, and I believe others, really appreciate these threads for what they are. I also fear that people will then creep into posting memes and images that are more contentious such as political or religious or otherwise that may rub some people the wrong way and discourage participation.

The problem seems to start when someone posts something that doesn't meet the guidelines. I liken it a group of us playing basketball and everyone is welcome to join. Then someone shows up with golf clubs and we say, you're welcome but please leave your clubs off the court. Instead of saying ok, some insist on bringing their clubs then get mad when called on it. If you want to play golf, that's great, but please not here.

Then suspicion and mistrust creeps in and people may be inappropriately called on photos that they did in fact take which is also an unhappy circumstance and can lead to hard feelings.

I really don't want to be hall monitor, but we can easily run into the camel's nose under the tent problem. If we let one meme or photo go, and not another, then we have hard feelings as you're picking on me or my message and not someone else's. So the only way to enforce guidelines is consistently and fairly, regardless of the intention of the poster.

At least that's how I see it.

One of the things I was thinking was was changing the name of the threads to make it clearer that we want to see people's own photos:

• Hit me with your best shot
  • A pic of my own
  • My lens on the world
  • Show me what you shot

Something else? I'm open to suggestions.

Do we want guidelines at all? If so, what should they be and how loosely should they be enforced?

I'm open to all suggestions and comments so we can make these threads an even better place for all.

Thanks!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994