SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maries1120

Benjamin Moore experts - White Down, Feather Down or other?

maries1120
7 years ago

I'm trying to find an off white paint for a bedroom. We used Behr Hazelnut Cream and it has a green undertone We've used it before and didn't have that happen before.

Looking for an off white - something not too bright white but not too beige. Creamy but I don't think too warm will work with the carpet and I don't want to go into grays.

Any experience with White Down or Feather Down? Maritime White looks like a possible one too. Any other off whites that I should look at?

Here is a photo of the carpet (not a great one but something)

Thanks

Comments (120)

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

From left to right on my desk with LED 3,000K Ovehead Lighting Benjamin Moore White Dove, Benjamin Moore Feather Down, Benjamin Moore Bone White.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Bnajamin Moore White Dove, BM Bone White & BM Feather Down on my sheets in my bedroom with no overhead lighting in the day time.

• Related Discussions

Calling all Ben. Moore white experts

Q

Comments (27)
    Is it possible to pick a white for cabinets and trim without knowing your wall color yet?! My countertops are Caesarstone Nougat and my appliances are white! Yes. The countertops and appliances are major components in the overall "envelope" of the space you're creating. Use those as the benchmarks for choosing a color of white for the cabinets and trim throughout the whole house. To make it easier, just use the same color on the cabinets and trim. I'd use the countertops for the #1 component to determine which color of white is the right one. Appliances second most important. Becuase odds are the appliances will be replaced way before the countertops. The cabinet color/countertop color relationship is more important and more permanent. If you have a well-color-coordinated envelope of major/permanent elements, it will be a harmonious foundation to build on and it will also inform your furniture and decor choices going forward.
    ...See More

Which Benjamin Moore White to go with Cambria Britannica?

Q

Comments (5)
    @Elizabeth King I ended up using Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace (BM OC-65) with Cambria Britanicca for island counter-top and kitchen backsplash and Cambria Carrick for perimeter countertop. It worked out well.
    ...See More

Stuck between Benjamin Moore Pale Oak and Benjamin Moore Classic Gray

Q

Comments (42)
    Hi - these 2 colours sit increasingly further clockwise on the Color Strategist Wheel, away from Pale Oak. They will likely apoear a a little cooler by comparison. So in your setting, they are somewhat less likely to shift quite as pinky-purple. Sometimes, just moving a few degrees can make a difference, sometimes you may have to move a whole lot further to mitigate colour shift. These are a both a touch darker (lower Value) than Pale Oak + more colourful (higher Chroma). They have the capacity to appear a little greenish where Pale Oak reads well for you. But maybe less likely to do so where Pale Oak looks a little pink/purple. If either is too dark? Then you need a colour with higher Value. If either is too colourful? Then you are looking for a colour with a lower Chroma. If these still read too pinkish? Then moving further clockwise again could help mitigate that. Viewing large paint chips or samples in your space, with your lighting will help indicate how they are likely to behave for you. #huefamilies #value #chroma
    ...See More

BM Feather Down Dilemma

Q

Comments (5)
    Is the light exposure different? Feather Down was a contender for me based on Samplize sample, but when I slapped it on the wall it pulled way too much yellow in the room with abundant natural daylight; in the hallway with zero natural light it's beautiful. IDK how to cut paint colors, but I wonder if you'd just end up with a lighter yellow. You might be better off finding a color that corresponds and flows into the FD in the other room -- there is no "rule" that all rooms must be the same color.
    ...See More
  • susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Benjamin Moore Albescent on the left, BM Bone White in the middle and BM Feather Down on the right with BM Dove White aboe it with overhead lighting that is 3,000K LED recessed lighting.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Benjamin Moore Albescent, BM Feather Down and on the bottom BM Bone White around 6 PM nautural light in my bedroom on my dresser next to the window.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Sorry about the wrinkled Samplize but when I took them off the wall last night and was about to do laundry (never had time), Lola my 7.25 lb. black and white Shih Tzu jumped on the piles of blankets on the floor and jumped on the bed! She stepped all over the samples and got them a mess. Hope the above pictures helps comparing the two colors. The colors pick up what is around them and also change in different light situations so it is best to try the samples out in your own home in the room you plan to paint but at least you can see that Benjamin Moore Feather Down has more gray in it and is a little lighter than Benjamin Moore Bone White that is warmer but also has a tad of red in it. Benjamin Moore Albescent is slightly lighter than BM Bone White and has less red in it.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@bettinavanderwoodsen, hope I am doing this rigth to give you a notification to look at the pictures as it took up so much time to take so many in different lightings and choose the ones that represented what the colors looked like in person. I had no idea taking pictures was so difficult. I do know that lighting really affected the color as well as well as what is in the room (the fixed elements) and trying my best to help out really shown me this. I know when my wall color clashed with my new blinds, I was told to add sheers to break up the colors next to each other and that fixed the problem. At least with my pictures you can see how the two colors compare BM Bone White with BM Feather Down as well as how they look with BM Albsecent. I love BM Muslin you tried but it looks best with warm floors and furniture and lots of light since I saw it in a house many years ago with Brazilian Cherry Floors and a lot of light and it was gorgeous. BM Bone White is a little lighter with a little less red than the Muslin I feel but you need to try Samplize or buy sample paint to see how it looks in your house if you like the samples I shared.

• Jessica
    2 years ago

I just painted my basement in feather down with white dove trim. Hope this helps. I'm not seeing any grey undertones, more of a yellow.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Jessica. that looks so nice! Do you have overhead lighting? Also what color is the trim and the door as it looks very neutral and nice. I do not know why it is showing up gray in the samples when it is such a nice neutral in the pictures that I see of the BM Feather Down. I love it on your walls.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Dinelle Wolfe, do you have any picture of the BM Feather Down on your walls? I In my overhead lighting in my office together it is appearing warm and nice ass long as it is not against my other sample paint color. When I try to take pictures with my Samsung S9 camera with the flash off with my bright overhead lighting in my home office, all the samples get washed out and look like the same color right now. So the pictures I shared already out of so many I took yesterday or the best I can do and what the colors look like in my rooms but they are not on the walls and I am sure will look different if the whole room is painted.

• Jessica
    2 years ago

Yes, I attached a photo with and without lighting. My basement does have good natural lighting. It's a little cloudy here today. The trim is in white dove. The color seems to stay neutral in natural and overhead lighting.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Thank you Jessica! Do you know what temperature your LED bulb is in the ceiling? I love the BM White Dove Trim and door with the BM Feather Down Walls.

• Jessica
    2 years ago

Daylight 5000k LED light bulbs. There's 3 bulbs that go in each light fixture, so it's pretty bright.

• bettinavanderwoodsen
    2 years ago

Thank you jessica. and do you consider that feather down is a greige or it’s only beige. and do you see a green undertone?

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

https://jacobowensdesigns.com/blogs/news/5-living-room-paint-ideas-with-benjamin-moore-greige-paints

Copy and paste of what Jacob Owen Says:

Greige paints are trending right now, both Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams have a lot of options. I want to share with you some greige paint colors that I've personally worked with on a variety of homes in North America and give you my professional view on how these paint colors work.

Here is a quick list of paint colors that I'm going to talk about in the video down below: Pale Oak, Wind's Breath, Balboa Mist, Feather Down and Swiss Coffee by Benjamin Moore. All of them are unique, have different undertones, and require a specific type of interior decor and fixed elements to make them work in a home.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Jacob Owns seems to feel BM Feather down is a greige color and from my samples I agree with him. I can see it being neutral and warm with the right elements around it and the right lighting. I actually like it but I am waiting for my new 100 watt LED 3,000K bulbs to arrive and my new bedding before making a decision.

• Jessica
    2 years ago

@bettinavanderwoodsen the sample really did seem to have more of a greige look, but I'm just seeing more beige and yellow. It's also in the basement, so maybe it would be different upstairs. I haven't noticed a green undertone yet. I think this color will also pickup what's outside the windows.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

https://www.homepainterstoronto.com/2021/01/08/the-best-neutral-paint-choices/

Feather down by Benjamin Moore

This Benjamin Moore interior paint that’s completely versatile is a part of the taupe family. Feather Down is a nice choice for living rooms and dining rooms. The great thing about this interior house paint that’s neutral is that it’s not white, but it could be. Meaning, it’s one of the best neutral paints because it’s endlessly versatile. Plus, if you put this interior wall paint with white trims, it will create the perfect contemporary muted palette.

• bettinavanderwoodsen
    2 years ago

I can’t order samples from the website, as i don’t live in Usa. i live in europe and in my country i don’t have amazon, ebay, and i have only benjamin moore, dulux and levis.

that’s why it’s quite difficult as i need light greige color with warm under tone with prevailing beige.

i’m hesitating betassn feather down and egyptian cotton by dulux.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

bettinavanderwoodsen, BM Feather Down is a light Greige color.. Watch the Video above. I tried to help the best I could. I have a Nov. 15th deadline but I still took out my time to take as many pics as I could in different lighting and shared the best pics with you that represented the colors best. I do not know what Egyption Cotton by Dulux looks like but I will see if I can find it online for you to compare. Shame you can't buy small cans of both first to paint big white thick boards since you narrowed your choice to two colors. This would help you the best.

OK, I found doing a Google Search many wall colors in your other choice. To me it looks a little darker than BM Feather Down and is very nice. Depends what you your other fixed elements in your room is.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS915US915&sxsrf=AOaemvIPf5fKDpEitI4heY4h493xcEiQew:1636064700482&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=Egyptian+Cotton+by+Dulux&fir=NM2Y-uOr8eq_dM%252CfRzmQCr64CZQgM%252C_%253BGgcRgJjqkqwAwM%252Cg3RZgbNHisPicM%252C_%253Bo1MDVQEGfHbcdM%252CeJG5HaeYxjqhLM%252C_%253Buj2aDn9E4uC8lM%252CRgBBEarozGtgkM%252C_%253BMhfSthwl78ISRM%252Cu4G3o8yNlVtU9M%252C_%253BeuovIlQP80TzgM%252CmXsv3oDH0kLlIM%252C_%253BaER0bNQw3XYUbM%252C28nsDtXqv8dc6M%252C_%253BR4mz9LeEeNo6IM%252CRgBBEarozGtgkM%252C_%253BGpbYyWeS2UB9jM%252Cze7VVxhQYBRh_M%252C_%253BmRwHa9277qisZM%252CtTM28mAvdnyUkM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kQgJ1OUANkImj2AnzokuBJ6f1LGmw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjwr7T63__zAhWPdN8KHQXfCqMQjJkEegQIBhAC&biw=1279&bih=614&dpr=1.49

• H D
    2 years ago

Thanks for the pictures everyone. I’m really liking Feather Down/-it looks so soft and neutral.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

HD, I am finding that the Feather Down is soft and so neutral also. Sometimes a color needs a touch of gray so it does not appear yellow. I love the Bone White but with the touch of red, I am not sure it goes with my creamy off-white furniture. I will take pics of the samples on my wall once I get my new bulbs. I will put on the wall 2 of the BM Feather Down Samples surrounding white samples so the yellow is not directly on top of it.

• H D
    2 years ago

Thanks, I would love to see those pictures!

• bettinavanderwoodsen
    2 years ago

Great thanks i would love to see as well pictures of bone white on wall. thank you 🥰

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

So sorry for no pictures but I have a deadline to meet this coming week before efile is closed. I will send new pictures of the BM Bone White Sample on the wall. Right now I removed all samples. The light coming from the window no longer blocked by putting the armoire against the wall after I moved the dresser to the left and changing the 60 watt Halogen bulbs next to my bed (approx. 2,850K warm temperature) and 75 watt equivalent Fluorescent bright white bulbs on my dresser (approximately 3,500K bright white temperature) to 100 watt equivablent LED bulbs at 3,000K temperture really made things nicer in my bedroom with the headboard not looking so dirty in my eyes as long as sandy browns and beiges are not next to it. I found out from buying a comforter that the greige highlighting in the headboard looks more gray if light to medium brown and beiges are next to it. It looks more brown if real grays are next to it. I bought a new comforter that is arriving today to see if it helps. I will share after my 20th efile deadline ends. Thank you everyone for your help. BM Feather Down is a nice neutral and so is BM Bone White, BM Albescent and BM White Down but they also pick up colors and shadows around them and lighting really affects what the eyes see and how you feel around them I have learned. I actually do not mind my Ralph Lauren Deep Cream walls painted in the BM Pearl Finish years ago anymore but I shall see since I feel the walls need to be repainted and Ralph Lauren Paint has been discontinued.

• Sapphire0905
    2 years ago

@Dorcas Dobie Would you please share your feather down paint mix label from the paint can? I recently saw this paint color in a parade of homes and it was stunning. I was able to retrieve the label from their paint can.. (It's actually mixed up by sherwin williams), but I wanted to see what kind of paint you used and the label.. thank you!!!!!!!!!

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

I would also like to see the label from the BM Feather Down Paint can. After changing my bulbs from 2,850 temperature 60 watt halogen to 3,000 temperature 100 watt equivalent LED, the BM Feather Down looks nice in my bedroom. I will take pictures of the paint samples on my wall when I have time since I am still so busy trying to finish deadlines before Thanksgiving. The two comforters I ordered online did not work out so I am working with what I have that I really like. @Dorcas Dobie and @Jessica thank you both in advance when you have time.

• Dorcas Dobie
    2 years ago

We used Benjamin Moore paint specifically. I will try to dig up paint can in the next couple of days but will not have an opportunity right away.

• Jessica
    2 years ago

Here is the paint label

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Thank you Jessica! I had to look up the codes ad Y3 is Yellow Oxide. S1 is black. S2 is gray. R1 is Red as my guess since R2 is Organic Red and R3 is Oxide Red. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64o4Yc7uxUw

• Julie Marshall
    2 years ago

Feather Down is lovely in my stairway going up and in the hallway/loft area. It has enough of a contrast with semigloss BM White on the trim and doors. I read somewhere that Feather Down is a lighter version of Manchester Tan which I did in my front hallway and will do in the LR/DR because it turned out well. It might have yellow undertones but I needed to go warm. I chose Feather Down going upstairs and in hallway because I thought I should be going a little lighter. Loft area has East light so the color does look lighter in mornings but still so pleasing. The LRV is 74. Painting consultant recommended Wind's Breath which definitely leans toward grey and did not work in my traditional early 2000s home. Another choice I considered was White Sand - also too grey. I also looked at Bone White but that seemed more yellow. Purchased hundreds of dollars of Samplize samples plus actual paint samples in the 11th hour and ended up crossing my fingers. Fortunately I hit it right this time but now have a big decorating mistake to tackle in my FR/Kitchen areas. Might check out Jacob Owens for that. Probably will do basement in Feather Down too. I would not call it Greige leans more toward beige.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Thank you so much Julie Marshall for your review of the BM Feather Down color. Do you have any pictures to share? I have two more days of this deadline and then I will share my samples again with the new light bulbs. Amazing how light and the fixed elements in the room and accessories change how we perceive a color.

• Julie Marshall
    2 years ago

You can see the one photo with less natural light has yellow undertones. I was afraid of green so I don’t mind it. As I said I needed to go warm and I wanted the walls to have some depth if that’s the correct term. I was painting over one of the yellows from the BM Historical Collection and after that color I was worried the walls would be too pale and boring. No regrets ! Good luck!

• Julie Marshall
    2 years ago

Top picture was taken last night with soft white bulbs I don't know the lumens. I tried switching bulbs in my house with my paint decorating mistake and this did not help. Brighter light was not tolerable in the kitchen. So I'm no expert in changing out bulbs.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Thank you @Julie Marshall! The wall color is very nice and neutral with a nice contrast with the white trim. I ilke it.

• Victoria Huff Whitlow
    2 years ago

We went with BM Feather Down as the main wall color in our open concept house. BM Brewster Gray was used in the Pool Room and behind the built-in bookcase in the Living Room. The kitchen cabinets and trim is BM Oxford White. We’ve had this color on our walls for a year and are still pleased with how it turned out.

• H D
    2 years ago

Beautiful! Love the Feather Down in your home!

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Victoria Huff Whitlow, I love the BM Feather Down so much in your home with your lighting and fixed elements. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Dorcas Dobie
    2 years ago

Hi all. Sorry I was not able to get back about paint can labels - had a death in family. Wanted to let you know that ANOTHER interior designer came to our home for a different purpose and wanted to know what the color was on the wall - Benjamin Moore Feather Down from BM store. Still loving it.

• gretchen lott
    2 years ago

Hi, We are contemplating BM Feathered Down for our little home. I want to do the same paint color on ceilings. What did you do for your ceilings and do you have any photos of your home with the FEathered down color.

• Julie Marshall
    2 years ago

Hi! Scroll up to my photos from Nov 29th. Ceiling is BM ceiling white.

• gretchen lott
    2 years ago

Oh THANK YOU JULIE!!!! This color BM Feathered Down looks beautiful, warm and not too dark in your lovely home. Are you a designer? Also curious about the facing of your home...our main home faces EAST so we get sunrise sun and then in the afternoon it is darker....do you think this color will be too dark in the shadows? If you want to call 650 678 7894. Thanks and peace, Gretchen

• Dorcas Dobie
    2 years ago

see my pictures from 4 months ago. WE painted all trim and ceilings in our home in Benjamin Moore Simply White. Featherdown does not look dark at all in rooms with northeast exposure and southwest expsoure, and a dark hallway.. It replaced a more 90s yellower color. Have had 2 professional designers in our home over past few months and both spontaneously asked about the color!

• Julie Marshall
    2 years ago

Gretchen - the photo at the top with the little Christmas tree was taken at night and has a window that faces East. The photo just below is in the same loft/hall area with natural light coming in through the window. The rest of the photos are hallway and stairway with no windows which is why I wanted a lighter shade. But I wanted a lighter shade with a little depth, not off white. It turned out so well.

• gretchen lott
    2 years ago

Julie thank you again for guiding me. We had a flood in our little home and as a result we are getting the opportunity to repaint, redo cabinets and update a few things. We have chosen warm cabinets for kitchen and bathrooms and will paint the entire home feathered down. I also want to do the ceilings in the same color to give depth and cozy feeling. Do you have any thoughts on that and will do the trim in some white color TBD ???

• Dorcas Dobie
    2 years ago

Probaby just a matter of preference. I like white ceilings- but I dont think there is a rule. We use same color for trim and celings throughough the house just for simplicity - different paint formulations, but same color. I live in Pacific Northwest which is pretty grey 6 months a year so white ceilings make sense in terms of reflecting light..

Simply White trim is warmer than some of the other whites - not greyed out - but still a light R value. It does not look muddy with Feathered Down. To me it is the right amount of contrast. My house is already full of warm tones from the 90s so did not want to redo the whole thing. Happily, some of those warm tones are becoming popular again after years of cool greys and whites (which I also like - but not enough to change overall palette).

• gretchen lott
    2 years ago

Dorcas, thank you. Our little home has dark cabinet "built in TV/bookshelf" and we are going to use a warm oak LVP and I think we are going to either: Do all Benjamin More Feathered Down matt on ceilings and walls with Feather Down semi gloss on trim or use the BE Simply White trim you suggest...that may give enough contrast for interest. We have big paintings that will go on walls and hope to bring it home with pretty new couch, u shape in warm/light tan fabric. The look in am going for is masculine, ralph lauren richness and warmth/cozy inviting. Transitional vs. modern, however, a bit more traditional. All tips and ideas welcome. We learn so much from houzz and all of the writers/designers/homeowners and those who are the journey of updating old styles.

• Julie Marshall
    2 years ago

I like crisp white ceilings and trim for the contrast. I did BM White Dove on my Master tray ceiling and I’m still getting used to that. It’s more of an off white. Good luck with your project!

• Amy C
    last year
    last modified: last year

This is eggshell White Down walls with semi gloss White Dove trim, and flat 50% White Dove ceilings. Two north facing rooms and then a south facing room with overhanging shadowed patio.

https://imgur.com/a/S3epiDd

• ffpalms
    last year

I had just suggested SW Crushed Ice on another thread to complement a kitchen countertop, and it looks like it may be a good complement to your carpet as well.

• PRO
    Leslie Morrison, Realtor®
    last year

I did white down on my walls in my dining room with cloud white trim and it's very subtle and looks nice. Upstairs hallway the white down looks totally different. Shows more brown and very similar to feather down. Not sure which one to choose!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!