SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreweth

Italian look-alike trees for zone 5

Andrew
7 years ago

I just got back from a trip to Italy. While there, the charming landscape of the countryside really caught my attention. It made me wonder: could that look be simulated back here in upstate NY (zone 5)? Most of what grows there wouldn't survive the winters here, but are there trees that are similar in appearance?

I've been trying to find as much as I can on this, and this is what I've come up with:

Italian Cypress - Skyrocket Juniper is similar, though smaller and different colored; alternatively, Emerald Green Arborvitae, though it's a bit stubbier and more vividly green

Italian Stone/Umbrella Pine - Colorado Pinyon Pine, while not exact, is the closest substitute I could find. Is there any other kind of tree that has the umbrella pine shape?

Sycamore Maple - Survives to zone 5, could also substitute with American Sycamore

Those are the 3 trees that stuck out the most to me. Everything else looked pretty shrubby to me, which is easy to emulate. Oleander and Crape Myrtle, while officially zone 6-7 can be grown as die-back perennials with proper mulching. Throw in some lavender, roses, and clematis, and you should have a pretty Mediterranean looking area.

It just seems like you would need some better options for the tree look-alikes. Does anyone have suggestions?

Comments (11)