SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabetheva

Cold Storage conflicting information - terrible or great?

EvaElizabeth
7 years ago

We're building a house with a basement for the first time and I'm really confused by all of the conflicting information about cold storage. It is very popular and desirable in our area to include cold storage in new construction. Some people use it for food storage, but I think most people use it as an extension of the garage or attic, for utility and seasonal storage, which is what we plan to use ours for. Our house includes two cold storage areas, and when I started looking into shelving options I ran into all kinds of problems people have with cold storage rooms. Then, when we did a progress walkthrough of our house last week, they told us not to use any wood next to the concrete, and not to place items right next to the wall, to allow an inch or so between, because of possible moisture. My mom happens to be building a house right now as well, and it's higher end construction than ours. Her builder is installing wood shelving in their storage room directly to the concrete walls. We asked about this and he said the concerns are all garbage, it's perfectly fine. My in-laws custom, high end construction home also had a "cold storage"eroom, but I actually think they just called it that, because it appeared completely finished and I think it might have even been ventilated. In fact, almost everyone I know who had built a house in the last 5 years has cold storage.

But...i have pulled up many stories of people with cold storage problems online and they were told cold storage is a terrible idea, everything can mildew, it's bad to keep it unventilated but difficult to include in a properly sealed, finished basement, and to pull out all of the wood and seal it off from the house.

I'm getting nervous about storing anything there, but one of the huge reasons we are moving here is for more space for all the stuff we currently have to keep in a rented storage unit! Our basement will be unfinished when we move in, but we do have plans to finish it next year.

Why is there so much conflicting information about residential cold storage? Or maybe my question should be, if cold storage is really such a risky thing, why are all of these builders doing it?

Comments (8)