SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

Re-starting tubers after cold storage

dee_can1
12 years ago

Hi, I think I've managed to over-winter my canna tuber. All I did last Fall was to take the canna tuber out of the pot (it was outdoors on my deck during the summer), and brush off most of the soil, but basically leave the tuber encased in soil to store. Not sure if that was the 'right' way, but I'll soon find out when I try to get it growing again.

Which has always been the problem for me - getting the tuber started. I've had no luck with store-bought tubers when I tried to get them growing under my indoor lights. I either under or over-watered them, and they ended up rotting. I actually tried not to keep the soil wet knowing the tubers would rot, but at the same time I didn't leave it dry either...

I'm wondering what the suggestions would be for restarting it indoors under lights. Should I do it now (our last frost day is usually mid-May); or should I wait and start it outside in May (I'm just worried it wouldn't get growing fast enough to flower by the time summer is over).

If I start it indoors, should I leave the soil dry until I see green sprouts (hopefully)?

Thanks for any help - I've seen lots of information on storing, but none on getting the tubers going again.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals