SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vtandrea

conflicting information for the new hobbyist

vtandrea
11 years ago

I've been growing orchids for about 6 years now. About 30 reside in the sunroom (southeast exposure) with a fluorescent fixture for supplemental light and a humidifier that really doesn't add a whole lot to the humidity level. In the beginning I really overwatered the 2 or 3 orchids I owned, then I switched to the skewer method to make sure I didn't. Now I mostly ignore the skewers and try to water most of them twice a week since the sunroom opens to another room and thus the humidity level isn't great. I've noticed that many of the orchids I've acquired in the past couple years really want much more water than I was giving them. Pleated leaves and shriveled PBs told me so. I keep trying to find out the answer to a question that nags at me: do all orchids with PBs end up with shriveling, or would they stay plump forever if only I gave them enough water? Even the new orchids I get from local garden centers seem shriveled or on the way. Then there's the issue of humidity and water on the leaves inviting fungal spots, something which makes orchids less than pretty unless they're in bloom. How does the amateur hobbyist balance these 2 problems?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting