SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamadadapaige

conflicting information about HW floors... HELP!

mamadadapaige
16 years ago

hi,

Please help me get to the bottom of this...

We are renovating our house and putting in hardwood floors which will run continuously through several rooms, including the kitchen and butt up against some existing vertical grain fir floors.

I want something that will work harmoniously with the fir but be much more durable since this will be in the kitchen and since we have young kids in the house.

I would like to go with old growth Cherry from Carlisle (www.wideplankflooring). They have assured me that because the cherry is old growth it will be hard enough to be durable in a kitchen. The architect (albeit a young architect) also assured me of the same thing (said that if it were cherry from anyone else he would say no, but that the Carlisle cherry is denser). The contractors are saying there is no way this is hard enough to be durable in a kitchen and are STRONGLY advising me against it.

I love the look of it and really want to go with it but I also trust the contractors and am afraid.

If we don't do this, we will go with quartersawn white oak and deal with the fact that where the oak meets up with the fir the contrast is great (and probably not very pleasing to the eye). Unfortunately where they meet is very visible as you enter the house so not an ideal situation.

Anyone with specific experience with Carlisle Cherry floors?? or even if not, any advise for me?

thanks!!!

Comments (10)