SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8788188

Help! Conflicting info during flooring estimates-What materials?

User
7 years ago

Hello,

Reading this forum has provided so much help during our home remodel! But we are stuck...

I have received a few estimates regarding our original red oak wood floors. Our home was built in the early 60's and the condition of the floors are pretty good since it has been covered with carpet in a few rooms. A few stains here and there, nothing the professionals said couldn't come out. The problem I am having with the professionals are the inconsistencies over what products to be used, the method, and the time it will take. Seems as though we have red oak in 2 bedrooms, foyer, breakfast room, dining room & hallway. We want to sand and stain a medium brown with little to no warmth or red tones. Nothing too shiny, nothing too matte. Additionally we want to install matching hardwoods in our master bedroom which has only had carpet. We have 2 large dogs(60-80lbs), not very active and have dog beds (not jumping on and off couch) and plan on having kids in the future.

Floor guy #1- Suggested we could sand, stain and seal using 3 coats of polyurethane. Suggested using a satin finish. I asked about using some Duraseal colors I saw online and they agreed. Took measurements and out in 20 minutes. Wants to do all at same time.

Floor guy #2- Same as above but offered to split the work in different parts of the house so we didn't have to get a hotel during the process. Sounded great to me.

Floor guy #3- Spent an hour giving us an estimate and explaining his methods and every detail of the products he was going to use. He suggested doing all floors at the same time (after letting the new install wood for master bedroom acclimate for 2 wks). He said it could be harder to get an exact match if we did it during separate weeks. He emphasized he only uses VOC compliant products unlike his "competitors", Toxins, toxins, toxins. He uses only Minwax, Basic Coating Emulsion Satin and Streetshoe XL (for a higher bid). When I asked about Duraseal colors and or using their products and Duraseal VS Minwax, he said again that he only uses non toxic materials and that Minwax was better. He pushed hard for the 4-5 coats saying they will last 15-20+ years and since we have dogs we need it. He said that it dries fast and we could walk on it at night during the process (staying in basement only coming upstairs for bathroom and to let dogs outside) BUT the dogs need to stay off as much as possible for 2 weeks! When I asked about oil vs water based products he said that oil was better. At least I thought he did. I became so confused with all this new information, I almost couldn't keep up. When I googled the products he uses, they say waterbased. Huh?!?

To those who have experience with refinishing and installation of wood floors, please share with me any suggestions, and words from the wise. Price point they are pretty competitive, some a little higher, some a little lower. Just seems like I am hearing different options, including one that I haven't come across since doing some research. At first, I thought the more coats the better especially if the price is about the same. BUT what if his method is all wrong? All have "A" ratings on Angie's list.

Thank you!!

Comments (6)