SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katy_bug_gw

Conflicting info about heat pumps in Georgia

KH 888
12 years ago

Hi! Our 19 year old furnace died and instead of propping it back up we decided to do an energy efficient overhaul on the house. Because we currently have no heat, we art trying to get something installed as soon as possible and utilize as many rebates and tax credits as we can. Here are our stats:

* We live in Athens, Georgia (NE)

* House was built i 1961

* 1602 sq ft of conditioned floor area

* currently we have a

- 0.8 AFUE Natural Gas Furnace

- 9 SEER Central AC

* Georgia Power is our electric retailer and the rate is $0.10 per hWh

* gas rate is $0.72 per therm

We are looking for a good combo of efficiency and comfort. Everyone has a strong opinion on Heat Pumps and they offer conflicting advice. I need help from someone who is not trying to sell me something.

Our local HVAC people quoted us:

Lennox 16.2 seer 14acx-036 ac with an 80% 70K BTU horizontal gas furnace = $4095

10 year parts and compressor warranty. A 5 year coil warranty and a 1 year labor warranty

The HVAC people recommended by our energy auditor are out of Atlanta and they suggest:

16 SEER AMANA Heat Pump, 3 Ton, System Install - we are in the process of getting all the details and quotes on this one.

The energy auditor said a heat pump was determined through the Beacon Report to be the most efficient device and would also save the most money year after year in addition to getting the most back In rebates. Others say that the heat pump will never keep our house consistantly warm in the winter during the few extreme weather spells that we have.

Any thoughts?

Comments (33)