SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristi_gw

Hydronic toe-kick heat gurggling, part 2. Conflict with 2 pumps

Kristi
16 years ago

Hello, First thank you again to Baymee who took the time to look at my first post regarding the hydronic toe-kick heat and gurggling noise.

I have since had a new heating contractor look at the problem. He noticed that it was not just the toe kick, but the entire system pipes were gurggling. He thought that the pump for the toe-kick heat was causing the gurggling.

If you look at the pictures in the link below, pictures #2 and #4 show the pump for the main heat source. Behind the large silver pipe in picture #2 is the second pump for the toe-kick heat. The pump for the toe-kick heat can be seen in picture #6, which comes out of the top of the system (just out of view, in picture #5).

He thought that since the toe-kick heat pump was drawing the water UP, this was not efficient, bringing in air, and would result in persistent gurggling. He proposed moving the pump to the same side as the main heat pump, and rerouting the lines accordingly.

In addition to fixing the gurggling, he said that this would also fix a delay problem that I have been having. Essentially if I start up the main heat and then turn on the toe-kick heat, the main heat has to get warmed up first before the toe-kick heat can kick in, resulting in a 30-45 minute delay.

He said that having the two pumps at opposite ends of the system created a conflict. By moving both pumps to the same side, this delay would be alleviated.

What is the standard set up for running two pumps? Each has its own control and is supposed to operate independently. Thank you in advance,

K.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of hydronics

Comments (15)